Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nesting Familes - implications ?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
MKEllis
271 Views, 5 Replies

Nesting Familes - implications ?

Hi,

I'm putting various doors together, and we have a variety of frame types / door leaf combinations - including occasions where door leafs are inserted in glazed screens (These are timber doors / screens).

It seems to make sense to have the door leaf as a family, then nest those into hosted door frame / screen family. This would allow the 3 or 4 different door leaf types to be switched into the frame / screen combos.

The principal seems to work - but before embarking on the process of putting these together, are there any consequences that should deter me, or that I need to take into consideration ?

Thanks

Martin

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rosskirby
in reply to: MKEllis

Implications?  Performance-wise, not really.  That's a fairly well-accepted and stable approach to creating door families.

The only real "implications" are for training people on how the door families work (and making sure they do it correctly), and also for using/linking the correct parameters between the host family and the nested family (i.e. door panel height/width/thickness/material and the naming of those parameters.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 6
Chris.Aquino

One thing to watch out for is people editing the nested family from the host family.

For example, Nested family A is nested into host family B and C .Someone edits host family B in the project, then goes into Nested family A, edits it and reloads it into the project.

If the nested family needs to be modified, make sure it's modified on its own, then reloaded into the host families, then the host families reloaded into the project.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 4 of 6
MKEllis
in reply to: rosskirby

Thanks Ross, Since asking the original question I've been experimenting with various setups, and it does seem to work quite well, although I take the point about training and concentrating on a robust arrangement / naming / management regime.

Martin

Message 5 of 6
MKEllis
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

Thanks Chris.

Funnily enough that's the way I've been working on the nested family - mainly because it is easier (opening it directly from the hosting family). I realise now that you've pointed it out; that particular workflow is likely to be prone to breakages in a wider team.

I've worked through the linking of parameters as well - which seems pretty intuitive.

Is there a way of locking a nested family from being edited from the host family - and only allow it to be edited in it's original form ?

Is it possible to set families up to have editing rights assigned to particular users only ? with different users assigned different 'core' families ? I haven't really looked to far into multi-user environments for Revit just yet, beyond establishing and controlling worksets.

Many thanks for the replies.

Martin

Message 6 of 6
Chris.Aquino

There really is not a way within Revit to control who can access what.

If you have Vault, we have seen users store their families on Vault which does have this type of fucntionality.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report