Revit Architecture

Contributor
Kraig.Cline
Message 1 of 6 (348 Views)

Nested Light Source

348 Views, 5 Replies
08-28-2013 01:50 PM

I have a railing that I created a baluster with I light in it. I did this to represent a "Light Rope" under the Top Rail. But when I share the Baluster family, so I can alter the Light Source, the light does not render.. Is there I'm doing something wrong? When I have the Baluster as an unshared family it will render, but the light is all wrong and I can't tweak it. Any suggestions please?! I have attached the Baluster I'm using

*Expert Elite*
constantin.stroescu
Message 2 of 6 (333 Views)

Re: Nested Light Source

08-28-2013 03:27 PM in reply to: Kraig.Cline

I have the feeling that I miss something from your question.

The family seems to work fine in my case....

I made the following steps:

1. I checked the flexing of parameters in family editor and it works
  2. load the family into a project - place it inside a room - needed first to check the visibility in views:  from Properties > Visibility / Graphics Override > Edit > Model Categories > Lighting Fixtures >expand it (+)  and check the Light Source so to be seen and visualy controled by parameters - image 178
  3. in a interior section view (pay attention not to place the light source outside the room borders otherwise it will be no light to render) or a 3d,  perspective view , select the Light Source yellow gizmo and from Properties > Edit Type >Type Properties >Photometrics - you can control there the geometric settings of the Light Source (Image 179)
  4. When render , activate artificial lights

Image 184.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Contributor
Kraig.Cline
Message 3 of 6 (326 Views)

08-28-2013 03:39 PM in reply to: constantin.stroescu

I guess that's my next issue.. Why aren't my Balusters showing the Light Source now that it's a shared family?! As you can see I have the Baluster with the light loaded into railing. They disappear when I share the family. So what about that function is causing this? Thanks for the help guys/gals

Product Support
Chris.Aquino
Message 4 of 6 (260 Views)

09-03-2013 09:09 AM in reply to: Kraig.Cline
I have contacted our Development Group to see if they can see why there is a difference. I will update this thread when I get new information.

Chris Aquino
Knowledge Domain Expert
Customer Service & Support
Autodesk, Inc.

The Revit Clinic
@Revitclinic
Contributor
Kraig.Cline
Message 5 of 6 (258 Views)

09-03-2013 09:11 AM in reply to: Kraig.Cline

Thank you Chris!!

Product Support
Chris.Aquino
Message 6 of 6 (181 Views)

09-20-2013 12:01 PM in reply to: Kraig.Cline

At this time, the permanent fix for this issue requires that the code for Revit be modified, and as such, we do not really have a fix, and at this time the workaround would be to not share the light sources.

We understand that this may not be the preferred workflow, but as I mentioned, any change in behavior will require the code for Revit to be modified.

Chris Aquino
Knowledge Domain Expert
Customer Service & Support
Autodesk, Inc.

The Revit Clinic
@Revitclinic
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.