Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nested Family Reference Plane Lock Breaking

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
paul.ashley
1664 Views, 4 Replies

Nested Family Reference Plane Lock Breaking

I have developed a family-construction method that combines equipment with its dedicated electrical receptacles.  It is designed such that once inserted, the user can drag the outlet symbol and outlet to the right or left and also move the outlet symbol away from the wall plane to permit symbol stacking in plan.  Most of the time this works but on some families, though seeming constructed in the same manner, the link between the receptacle and the controlling plane gets broken.  The link to the outlet annotation family always stays connected.

I've attached a Revit project contain two families, one that works and one that does not.  I'm hoping someone out there can figure out a problem that has me stumped.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
paul.ashley
in reply to: paul.ashley

OP adding a note:

5 PM CST Edit:

I tried remaking the receptacle family as a generic family rather than the faced-based family used in the attached file. That made no difference.  However, in working with the family I discovered that what breaks the connection is reloading the family after once moving the planes that govern the outlet's horizontal location while in a project.

Message 3 of 5
Chris.Aquino

The issue is that the receptacle family in the refrigeration family is constrained to the Symbol Center Reference Plane, so when the symbol moved (bringing the reference plane with it), the family moved too.

2014-02-21_1128.png

Unconstraining the family should fix the issue.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 4 of 5
paul.ashley
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

What you describe is the correct behavior.  The outlet is supposed to move with the annotation.  What is happening is that sometimes the locked outlet family will move when in the family editor but not when inserted in a project. 

I've attached another file here that has two itierations of the same family insterted.  One works and the other doesn't, yet for all I can tell, the two are constructed in the same manner.  I've taken steps to make sure -as best I know how - that the nested families are the same in each main family.  The annotation symbols always move correctly but the other family does not.

Message 5 of 5
paul.ashley

I will add this:

In the broken family, if you create a new plane, realign the receptacle to it, create dimension from the left offset plane to the new plane, and try to label that dimension to the same parameter used by the annotation, you get a "Restraints are not satisfied" error message. This doesn't happen in the family that works.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report