Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nested Family Cutting Void in Host ?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
MKEllis
9990 Views, 7 Replies

Nested Family Cutting Void in Host ?

I'm trying to have a void extrusion in a nested family (A vision panel) cut the geometry of the host family (the door leaf), but I can't get it to work.

The Vision Panel void is a Generic-Face Based family.

The Door Leaf is a Generic Model.

The void extrusion family is set to "Cut with Voids when loaded"

The Vision Panel contains only the void extrusion at present. I intended to to place the glass and beads in the family to allow interchangeable vision panels in the host door leaf - but I can't get the basic cut to work at present. From reviewing other answers it seems that it should be possible, and I thought I had the answer when I saw comments that said I needed to make sure the 'Cut WIth Voids when Loaded' was checked, but that doesn't seem to be the issue I'm having.

I also saw an answer that said you need to use the 'cut' tool to associate the cutting void with the host geometry, but it won't allow me to select the void when trying that.

The Door panel is DR1.rfa

THe void is DR-VP2.rfa

Is this possible ? If so any ideas where I'm going wrong ?

Many thanks

Martin

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MKEllis
in reply to: MKEllis

ooookaaaaay.

Having struggled with this for an hour or so, made a coffee, came back, and immediately saw what the problem was.

Simple really - in the Vision Panel Void Extrusion face based model, I hadn't set the void to actually cut the host geometry. I had tried unsuccesfully to use the cut tool on the host family, but not on the original host geometry.

Having done that, it now works.

Message 3 of 8
ImtheB3st

Hello MKEllis.

How do you actually set the void to cut on the original host geometry?

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
ImtheB3st

Please ignore me I've sorted it - result!

Message 5 of 8
david_ivey
in reply to: ImtheB3st

So what was the solution?
Message 6 of 8
David_W_Koch
in reply to: david_ivey

There is a "generic" host in the face-based family.  Have the void cut that host, inside the face-based family.  Then it should cut the actual host when an instance is placed on the Door Panel.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 8
niteshhalde
in reply to: David_W_Koch

guys, i am facing the same problem here. will you please elaborate it how to cut the geometry with the void in it. i have grille family (face based)

Message 8 of 8
ToanDN
in reply to: niteshhalde

@niteshhalde wrote:

guys, i am facing the same problem here. will you please elaborate it how to cut the geometry with the void in it. i have grille family (face based)

Maybe you should share your family?  And since this topic is already solved, you should post a new one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report