Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nested Families

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
kate_vanhout
648 Views, 8 Replies

Nested Families

I am trying to create an Island family with cabinet components nested into the island family.  I have included both a 3D view of what I want the island to look like and a floor plan of what I have right now.  I want to be able to adjust the size of each of these cabinets with a parameter.  But I am not sure how to get them to stay lined up like they are right now.  If I change the size to a larger size the center cabinet overlaps the cabinet on the right.  but if I add another reference plane to the right side of the center cabinet, when I try to adjust the size I get an error message saying "Constraints are not satisfied".  What am I doing wrong? Or how would I go about doing this?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
alan.quinn
in reply to: kate_vanhout

See the attached example. This is one frame work option for doing what you want. Perhaps other users may want to chime in with other ideas. Load the family in a project, click on it, click Edit-Type in the Properties Box and change the Cabinet Width. 

Hope this helps and thanks for posting.

Message 3 of 9
kate_vanhout
in reply to: alan.quinn

I tried what you suggested but this did not work either. I have attached a few pictures to help show what is happening.  The first image is a picture of what happens when I try to lock the front of the middle cabinet with the reference line.  I was able to lock the sides of all the cabinets and the front of both side cabinets, but it will not allow me to lock the front of the middle one.  The second picture is an image of what happens if that middle cabinet is not locked to that reference line.  Am I doing something wrong?

Message 4 of 9
alan.quinn

Go to this link for file http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11938886/Cabinet_Unit.rfa.rvt. I had a few Detail Line in the family while I was testing it. My guess is you were locking an aligning to them and that was causing the error. In any event I completed the family. Let me know if you have any questions on what I did and how/why it works etc.

Thank you,

Message 5 of 9
kate_vanhout

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me! 🙂 I really appreciate it.  But I am afraid the dropbox link did not work... would you be able to send it again?

Message 6 of 9
alan.quinn

Hmmm. Cut and paste the link into IE and it should work. I tested and got it, if it fails again I get to you via another method.

Message 7 of 9
kate_vanhout

It does not work in IE either, I also tried on another computer as well and that did not work either.

Message 8 of 9
rosskirby

There are two problems with the link.  First, there is an extra period at the end.  If you delete that from the address, then the link works, and the file downloads.  Second, the file has a double-extension.  It shouldn't be named xxx.rfa.rvt.  It should only be one or the other.  Perhaps, Alan, you can re-save as one or the other and then reload to dropbox?

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 9 of 9
kate_vanhout
in reply to: rosskirby

Deleting the period actually work. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report