Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help creating custom complicated shaped roof

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
3624 Views, 4 Replies

Need help creating custom complicated shaped roof

Hello Forum

I am learning Revit on my own and I am a total beginner. I am trying to create dome roofs like these:

http://www.mumbaitemples.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/iskconmiraroad.jpg

https://traveldreams.in/data/resources/img/locations/mayapur-krishnanagar.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WRxCFrsA6Lw/UDNXhIFTXJI/AAAAAAAAGPQ/vMCT1ggL2IA/w900/ISKCON%2BTem...

I'm trying to use massing, but am not able to apply a roof over it because theres an error something about being vertical.

It would be greatly appreciated if some of you pros can make a quick video tutorial explaning step by step on how to do this.

Otherwise a detailed answer would be nice.

Thanks for your time!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: Anonymous

It is a very good idea using Mass , but instead of using Roof by Face , use Wall by Face.
If you think how in real life is you will admit that vaults are indead masonry like walls are, so it is corect to use wall function.

In my example I made a very simple dome based on a square shape . Of course you can use Inscribed or circumscribed Polygons with many edges or you can use chamfered polygons for more complex shapes.You can also use diferent polygons for base and top shapes. In addition you can use sweeps for rims and profiles.

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/main/details/af18de5b-10a9-40cd-9a66-ed0adb5dc87b

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Hi Constantin,

just as an aside - what did you produce that demo in ? It looks like a great way of providing short tutorials, but I hadn't heard of it before.

EDIT: sorry, just looked at the Chronicle site and saw the link to the required labs download - for some reason I thought that was just the publishing site, and that it needed some other software. Feel free to ignore!

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Martin

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

Thank you so much for taking the time to make that video. It was very helpful, but I do have a few more questions about creating the domes.

1. If you look at this picture #1 I have attached, I have circled in red a part of the dome that is an expression that kind of protrudes outward. As you can see it doesn't reach all the way to the top, but stops about 2/3rds of the way up. How do I do that?

2. Please take a look at picture #2. How would I create that part of the dome circled in red and apply a roof onto that?

Best regards

Message 5 of 5
constantin.stroescu

for question 1

1. Continue with the previous volume - Edit in Place > and create two cross like shapes at Level 1 and Level 2  - as in Image 01
  2. Select both cross like shapes > Create Form > Solid Form - as in Image 02 here you can add a profile activating X-Ray ( as in the recording)
  3. Apply Join Geometry selecting the two volumes ( Image 03 ) . The result is something as in Image 04 or if editing by adding a profile (Image 05) as in Image 06.

for question 2

1. create a vertical Reference Plane through dome axis , name it AA ( as an example)
  2. Set the Work Plane to AA  
  3. Architecture > Component > Model In Place > Family Category and Parameters > Roofs >Name it ( I called it Peak) > Revolve - draw the BoundarLine - something like I did in Image 07...select the axis 
  4. results a roof element like in Image 08
  5. If you want a more sculptural peak then you have to make a Family object and import it into the project.....

Image 08.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report