Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name cannot contain any of the following characters: \ : { } [ ] | ; < > ? ` ~

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
kingsley.mcrae
10375 Views, 5 Replies

Name cannot contain any of the following characters: \ : { } [ ] | ; < > ? ` ~

Hello,

As a project requirement, I must have the symbol | separating the text in my drawing title/sheet name field on my titleblock family. When entering that symbol I get the error message

Name cannot contain any of the following characters:
\ : { } [ ] | ; < > ? ` ~
or any of the non-printable characters.

Why? When on normal text fields they can be used? Is there a way around this?

thanks in advance,

Andy

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
L.Maas
in reply to: kingsley.mcrae

Depending on how your workflow is. For example you could consider to make the | part of your title block.

Basically fill in the drawing title and sheet name (without the | ). One parameter you right align, the other you left align next to the | on the sheet.

Or instead of using the default parameters create a new (shared) parameter where you can use the |.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 6

Sheet names are used, or can be, to create exported files like DWG/DWF/PDF. If a symbol can't be used to create a file name then it can't be used in a sheet name.
My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 4 of 6
CoreyDaun

Depending on the font used, there may be an alternate character that you can use, instead. For instance, in the Arial font, there is another "vertical line" character that might work for you. See image below.

CharMapVerticalLine.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 6
dfurball420
in reply to: CoreyDaun

You can use a forward slash "/" but not a back slash "\"

Message 6 of 6
adper27

This is not resolved. The problem here for the structural side is it varied some elements in terms of depth and width. You can't rename those characters in type properties to achieve your beam, column, & wall marking, etc. But the only I can do here to achieve my marking is to mask it with text.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report