Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Yes/No parameter with text in lieu of a number?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
gavin
2569 Views, 4 Replies

Multiple Yes/No parameter with text in lieu of a number?

Hi,

I'm creating a martix family where the user needs to select the Wind Zone, number of storeys etc. and only the option selected is to be visible - Refer to attached image. 

I've created a family where I can use a number parameter to drive which option is visible...but I'd like to user to be able to see text (Low, Med, High) wind zones instead of 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

I think it would be confusing to require a user to select 3 for a High Wind Zone, as they will get confused with the score number..

Is it possible to use text instead of numbers to drive the visibility of multiple paramters?

I've tried using the <Family Types> but can't seem to get this solution to work either.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CoreyDaun
in reply to: gavin

Hi gavin! Welcome to the Discussion Groups!

Can you attach your Family File here?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 5
gavin
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Hi CADastrophe,

Family attached...

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Message 4 of 5
CoreyDaun
in reply to: gavin

I think you were on the right track with the <Family Type> idea, it'll just take an extra few steps to get it to work:

1. You have already create a Generic Annotation Family for the available options (Low, Medium, High, Very High) and loaded them into the host Family.

2. Now, since you cannot directly reference a <Family Type> value in a formula, you'll have to create a set of "Reference" parameters; create a new <Family Type> Parameter for each option, and name it something like "OptL", "OptVH" so it doesn't spring out to a user as something to fiddle with. Leave these as Type Parameters, so that they will not display along with the user-controlled Instance Parameters. Now set the value of each of these to the corresponding Family Type.

3. Create a <Family Type> for each 'field', such as "Wind Risk" (Instance). These will be the driving Parameters.

4. You have already created Yes/No Parameters for each options for each field. Set the formula to each of these so that they are "Yes" if the "User Controlled" Parameter matches the appropriate "Reference Parameter". For example, the "Wind Low" Yes/No Parameter would have the formula:

Wind Risk = OptL

Regarding the visibility issue you marked in your image ("I only want one of these visible at a time"), it looks as if you have already linked the element's Visibility to the appropriate Yes/No Parameter. These elements will never become invisible in the Family Editor, but they should behave properly once this Family is loaded into a Project or another Family.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 5
gavin
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thankyou very much CADastrophe.

I've amended it and it works exactly like I intended.

Many thanks.

Gavin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report