Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Pitch Roof Issues

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jhoney
3877 Views, 3 Replies

Multiple Pitch Roof Issues

I am trying to create a simple roof system with two intersecting roofs of different pitches.  The main roof is a 6/12 pitch and the front intersecting gable is 8/12.  When creating roof by footprint, I can get the roof to complete when I select plumb cut, but when I select 2 cut plumb, it says it cannot create roof.  Why would it create the roof in one scenario and not the other.  The problem with the plumb cut roof is that the "fascia" becomes too tall.  It will not even allow me to create separate roofs and join them.  I can get it to work but it takes a lot of work.  In order to get what you see in the attached PDF, I had to

1.  Create the main roof

2.  Create the gable roof

3.  I then alligned the front gable to the main roof (two different pitches)

4.  I tried to join the two roofs.  What happened was it cut the hole in themain roof, but would not connect the front roof to the main roof.

5.  I then had to selec the front gable and edited it to follow the valley lines of the main roof. 

I got the end result, but it sure seemed like a lot of steps for such a simple roof.  Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Justin Honey

Pittsburg State University

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
lawrencerobinson5
in reply to: jhoney

Start by making the whole roof by footprint.  Make it using the plumb cut setting, set your slopes as you would like them.  Use the align eaves tool to align the secondary to the main roof.  You can choose by height or by overhang, I tried both and both worked.  Finish the roof.  Now select the roof, in the properties change it from Plumb to Two Cut - Plumb.  Now you can set your fascia depth as you desire.  You also may need to adjust the base offset from level.  Hope that helps, and let me know if you need further assistance.

Lawrence 

Message 3 of 4
jhoney

That worked perfectly.  Any idea why I could not have just created the roof two cut plumb in the first place?  Sometimes I just don't understand Revit's quirks.

Thanks a lot.

Message 4 of 4
lawrencerobinson5

I don't know why it won't work setting it to two cut plumb while doing the boundary.  You got it right with politely calling things like this quirks, although when working I tend to use more colorful language to describe them.

Lawrence

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report