Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mulit Category Tag gone Wild

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
calexochoa
873 Views, 9 Replies

Mulit Category Tag gone Wild

I am using the multi category tag for the first time. I am a kitchen consultant and everything I do is considered to be a specidalty equipement family.This time I had to make changes to accomodate the clinet. Now when I tag something it gives me 5 of the same marks. Some of the them are tagging items I don't even have in the project. 

See attached.

Number 11 is not even on the project nor have I tagged it yet it appears there 5 times!!

Why? Anyone please before I go wild just like these tags!!

cochoa
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
CoreyDaun
in reply to: calexochoa

You're actually referring to a Multi-Category Schedule then, right? When an element is created, is it assigned the next available "Mark" value for that particular Category - each Category is tracked separately, so you can easily have duplicate Mark values across different Categories of Elements. That is likely what you are seeing. If you wish to identify what some of those "duplicate" items are, click on them in the Schedule View and then click "Highlight in Model" to select the actual element.

Unless you want to schedule every single element in the entire Project, you are going to have to set up some kind of Schedule Filtering. For instance, you could type an "X" under "Type Comments" for all of the Types you would like included in the Schedule, and set the rule to "Type Comments equals X". There are many ways to go about this, but you must have some kind of qualifier that separates the desired elements from the rest.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 10
calexochoa
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thank You Corey. Yes you were right a Multi Category Schedule.

When I select the highlight in model, it pops up with "A good view could not be found"

I think it's one of the items in the Revit Links perhaps. I will set up the filter as you suggested.

Thanks again I really appreciate it. 

cochoa
Message 4 of 10
CoreyDaun

Are you aiming to schedule elements that reside in a linked model? If that is the case, it may be best to Filter the Schedule based on the presence of one of the Parameters that you are scheduling, using the rule "[ParameterName] Parameter Exists" (that is, if it's available). You may have to add that Shared Parameter as a Project Parameter in order to use it in a Filter in your Schedule.

If you are not Scheduling the elements from the Linked Model, then there is a checkbox option under the Fields tab "include elements in linked files". Regarding the message you received "no good view...", that may come up but the element is still selected so you can see what it is by looking at Properties and the Type Selector.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 10
calexochoa

Unfortunately I am scheduling Linked elements. The architect has made me put the servery in their model but all those families are in my SOW. So they need to appear in my schedule. 

I was working with the schedule this morning and found that I could not export any of my shared parameters. This is a big issue for me since my schedule is pretty much made up of all shared parameters. 

I sent a note over to the Arch BIM Manager but I have yet to hear back. If I can't export I think I'm screwed. 

cochoa
Message 6 of 10
CoreyDaun

You have the original Shared Parameter .txt file, right? If so, I immediately see two possible methods here:

#1 - You can add those same Shared Parameters as Project Parameters to any Model Category (i.e. Specialty Equipment or Air Terminals) and you will be able to access those as Fields through your Multi-Category Schedule, and it will pick up the values from the elements in the linked model.

#2 - You can place an instance of the Family in your model and hide the equipment from the Linked Model. That way, you can include only these elements in your Schedule. If you have access to Copy/Monitor for this purpose, that would be better as it would alert you of location changes. I don't know if Copy/Monitor would even be applicable here, though (and it may also depend on your version of Revit).

If you don't have the Shared Parameter file, you can open the Linked Model, open one of those Families, go to Family Types, select the Shared Parameter, click "Modify...", and Export that Shared Parameter to your Shared Parameter file. Repeat as necessary.

Message 7 of 10
calexochoa

Thank  you so much again. I got caught up in another deadline and had to put the Revit on hold. I will try out everything you suggested tomorrow morning. I have noticed that when I tag each item with the same mark it keeps adding it to the scheudle vs just one mark and me putting qty of 6.

Most of my Revit is self taught and I really appreaciate your input on all of this.

cochoa
Message 8 of 10
CoreyDaun

The simple remedy to that is to disable the "Itemize Every Instance" option under the 'Sorting/Grouping' tab. That way, all elements that have identical criteria (according to the 'Sort/Group' Settings) will be included under the same listing, which is reflected in the "Count" field.

Message 9 of 10
calexochoa

Hi Corey,

I was wondering if you could help me again. I have managed to tag the elements in the Revit Link file. The only problem is I am using a text parameter so that I can override it in the schedule vs the count to itemize how many items I have in the project. The thing is that the Revit Linked items don't let me use the qty I have in my file. I could use the count, but some items i only tag once but they are really two double stacked wall shelves. Any thoughts on how to itemize both modeled and linked families?

cochoa
Message 10 of 10
CoreyDaun

You cannot override any of the values derived from elements in the Linked Model. You will have to open the linked model and either:

1. Add your Text Shared Parameter and enter the desired value(s).

2. Enter an "X" into the Comments field for elements you wish to exclude from the Schedule, and create a corresponding Filter Rule in the host Project's Schedule.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report