Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Access database that can export Family Tables?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Michi-Ken
818 Views, 5 Replies

MS Access database that can export Family Tables?

Has anyone built a MS Access database that can export Family Tables? Or knows of a 3rd party application that all the type information can be houses in a database, and the family table's TXT is just an export. The family tables we create are nemorus, and lengthly family tabels, and Excel just is not cutting the mustard.

Or would Autodesk ever include this in Revit?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ccollins
in reply to: Michi-Ken

There is an add-in/Extension from Autodesk called DB Link that can do this. I believe it is available on the Subscription Center.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 6
Michi-Ken
in reply to: ccollins

This is what I found, don't feel like this is hwat I am looking for:

did not see "export family tables"

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=13917027

Autodesk Revit DB Link
Import and export data between a Revit MEP 2010 project and an external database, and then more easily maintain relationships of linked data with Autodesk® Revit® DB Link.

• A grid view of the data enables you to make any final edits before import.
  • Databases can be updated following internal or external changes.
  • The grid control enables you to create Revit shared parameters to add new fields to related tables in the database.
  • Changes to new fields within the database automatically update Revit shared parameters upon future imports.
Message 4 of 6
ccollins

Can you explain a bit better what you are trying to do?

Are you trying to Export Familiy info from Revit and use it in MS Access?

Are you trying to type infi into MS Access and then Import it into Revit?

Have you tried exporting ODBC from Revit?

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 5 of 6
Michi-Ken
in reply to: ccollins

we are in the process of building family tables TXT files that accompany our RFA files. -

and it is a process that will never end

To keep things generic lets pretend my revit family is one style of a bicycle. this particular bike comes in:

... disclaimer …the revit families in this post are largely fabricated, the issues of truth within the memoir genre, by using a non-fiction name and changing the name of types in the post, this will exclude you for a libel case: Falsely accusing someone of a bicycle manufacturing, or having been charged family fraud a disclaimer that informs will fairly represent my question ...

this particular bike comes in:

6 colors,

4 styles of handle bars

5 grip styles for each handle bar

oh and you can get 4 different rims

2 frame styles (mens/women's)

2 sizes 20 & 26

if you do the math, 480 types in this one family table.

so if you attempt to build a 480 lined family table  in say Excel, and each time any one of these 6 parameters changes, it changes the type name, type description, and model number, all the data links found in the TXT file.

You start asking yourself, maybe I cold add all these tables into MS Access and build a relational database that exports Revit Family Type Catalog TXT files based on whatevr fields are in my database.

Then later when marketing adds options for pedals, cranks, seat, forks, and the little bells it can all be generated from the database.

So you say you'd never have 480 types in a family, then imaging we make 25 different each of bikes, tricycles, scooters, recumbents, and unicycles, and I hear we are getting to those walker the old folks us

Message 6 of 6
ccollins

That helps explain it a bit.

However, I would NOT recommend a "super-family" that contains 450 Types. Great for family creation;

HORRIBLE for performance once loaded into my Revit project!

That said, I think there IS a way to do what you are trying to do, via ODBC, some kind of 3rd party DB app/plug-in for Revit;

or perhaps the API? Try posting your question here:

www.revitforum.org

There are some serious Revit gurus over there who may be able to help you better than I can.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report