Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving to revit - speed of computers etc

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Dani S
211 Views, 8 Replies

moving to revit - speed of computers etc

The office I am working in is considering moving over to Revit full time. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of speed the computers would need to be running at, how much memory etc - are there any recommendations?

At the moment we have it installed and are using it sparingly because it seems to be alot slower than autocad. But would like to move over to it to save drafting time.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Dani S

See the attached site
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=5106033.

wrote in message news:5444908@discussion.autodesk.com...
The office I am working in is considering moving over to Revit full time. I
was just wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of speed the computers
would need to be running at, how much memory etc - are there any
recommendations?

At the moment we have it installed and are using it sparingly because it
seems to be alot slower than autocad. But would like to move over to it to
save drafting time.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

"it seems to be alot slower than autocad"

this was one of my first thoughts as well but then I realized, it is doing
much more than AutoCAD - in correct perspective, it is actually much faster
coordinating tags, sheets, sections, schedules, elevation, plans, etc. than
the drafters were.

We are hoping for better performance in 10 (hopefully it will begin to take
advantage of the Core duo 2s and the 512MB video cards and the 8GB RAM and
the 64 bit - etc.)

get the hardware up and the software will come up. try to buy for the
future (in 3 years) not for today.
--
Brian Earsley
www.arete3.com
18645 South West Creek Drive
Tinley Park, Illinois 60477
708.342.1250 x.225

New to DWF? Check it out!
http://www.arete3.com/services/communication.html
select "ARCHITECTURE" - "File Formats"

wrote in message news:5444908@discussion.autodesk.com...
The office I am working in is considering moving over to Revit full time. I
was just wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of speed the computers
would need to be running at, how much memory etc - are there any
recommendations?

At the moment we have it installed and are using it sparingly because it
seems to be alot slower than autocad. But would like to move over to it to
save drafting time.

Message 4 of 9
hagbard23

I know this seems strange, but look into the new Macs as well. The possibilities of switching over your office to Apple are probably slim, but I know a few people who are running Revit, 3DS and Pro Engineer (on Mac Book Pros), and those three programs run faster than on dual core PC's (IBM's).
Message 5 of 9
samov

you "heard" wrong... the new macbook pro's use THE SAME hardware as pc.... not that the powerpc was very much different anyway ( they didn't reinvent the wheel )

i own a 15.4 inch macbook pro AND an 17 inch hp nx9420... they are both core 2 duo with 2 gigs of ram...
i run windows xp sp2 on both.

my conclusion

apple: it's good looking, light, and HOT ( i mean temperature hot).

the hp: it's business black, MORE RESPONSIVE... the macbook lags a little compared to the nx, runs much cooler.

i prefer the hp any day since i always loved the "business" line design... but can't say the apple is no good...

when i show up at a meeting i want people to be impressed by what i have to show them... NOT the hardware i use, the hp does just that.

as for moving to macOS X, it's not a viable solution right now... not for business users anyway, when i'll see, Autocad, Revit B/S/MEP and 3ds max on the macOS i'll gladly switch.
Message 6 of 9
hagbard23

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers, but I didn't 'hear' anything wrong. I sat right next to the person(s) doing the demo. I never said what differences there were in hardware either. All I was trying to say was that Macs could be a possible alternative, just something to take a look at out of curiosity.

I appreciate the perspective though...it always is good to hear all sides of an argument and I think you make some good points.

Cheers
Message 7 of 9
ks041

Revit is cpu and memory intensive when your project gets to big. (100meg +)
Right now its got to the stage on 9.1 where it takes up to 2 mins to load and longer to save to central. This is with Core 2 Duo machines as well.

Real problem is all our users that run P4 3.4G say it so slow, that they are wasting a lot of time thus require a E6600 C2D machine to run more efficently
Message 8 of 9
unjust

you want processor, ram and gigabit networking.

2G of ram is a fine start depending on how large of a project you're working in, and the most processor you can afford.

my d(h)ell precision 470 has no issues with any projects we've gotten so far, and it's only about 1/2 way maxed, and my 3 year old acer 3ghz 2M ram laptop plugs away w/o issue on smaller jobs.(i.e. large houses, haven't tried anything bigger on it)

n.b. i do NOT recommend dell as a computer company, they've turned out crap for a number of years, but they're widely used and easy to identify/specify.
Message 9 of 9
Dan.Dominik

Note that purchasing a 64-bit system with buckets of RAM does not (at this time) necessarily mean you'll experience any real speed increases. On our current systems (core2d's 2.66 & 4gb) even complex renderings/animations do not come close to maxing out the RAM utilization. Likewise the cpu isn't pegged at max during such operations. Comparisons to another similar system with a core2x 3.0 yielded slight gains, but again neither resource was maxed. Hence, the Revit thread isn't using up the 2gb allocated to it by the os already.

There is a lot of info out there from posters advising moving to x64 for the huge amounts of RAM available. Our last group purchase had the financing available to go with such machines, but hardware premium, driver history for x64 based systems, and the lack of a 64-bit version of Revit for evaluation led us to decide to save the extra cost.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report