Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving project from Revit 2011 to Revit 2012 verticals?.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
bcpratt
1045 Views, 6 Replies

Moving project from Revit 2011 to Revit 2012 verticals?.

Has anyone done this yet and if so, what has your experience been?  Would you advise to leave a project in the version it was started in, or to move to the current version to take advantage of new functionality?  I had some hiccups with AutoCAD MEP when moving a project forward from one release to another and am wondering if something similar would happen in Revit world.  Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
LisaDrago
in reply to: bcpratt

As a best practice from my experience - What ever version you started - finish in.

This prevents several issues....  If you are working with other firms, they may not be able to make the jump to the new version.  So you are no longer in sync and that just does not work.

This also prevents any possible data loss in the upgrade, I am not saying this will happen - but no one will 100% guarantee that it won't happen. Is it really worth the chance? If you are at the beginning of a project - i would take the chance but if i am beyong midpoint - it will stay where it is.

Everyone is different and will approach it differently.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 7
rmccoyhfg

I would leave your project in 2011. We have upgraded one project as a test and keep running into issue after issue with 2012. All of our consultants have upgraded as well. But as of right now it's not worth the hassle.

Message 4 of 7
rosskirby

Our policy has been to not upgrade projects that are over 90% complete, or that are within 4 weeks of being issued for construction.  All other projects are upgraded once the new release has been vetted for potential issues (not all issues, obviously, but as many as can be reasonably expected).

Caveat: if any consultants are using Revit, and aren't on subscription or will not be upgrading on an equal timetable, then the project stays in the original version.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 7
vector2
in reply to: rosskirby

my policy is to not touch a new release until update 1 is available.. but now that revit is ten years old and fully mature and all program goals have been met- it's time to consider whether or not you want to continue paying money for bloatware.. not me- and i love RAC 2011..
Message 6 of 7
leothebuilder

Reading all of these responses leads me to ask:

What about older projects, what about a project that was created in 2008 and you have upgraded Revit every year.

Now you need to work with this old project again. (e.g. building additions or whatever)

Message 7 of 7
LisaDrago

You would upgrade it to the current version.
I would do it in steps... Anything linked in I would unlink and upgrade each file separately and then re-link them.
You can certainly upgrade any project. It 'should' go smoothly but there can be bumps along the way.

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report