Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modifying Section Tags/heads

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
HomesByDundee
82433 Views, 27 Replies

Modifying Section Tags/heads

I was wondering if there is possibly a way to create, modify, or edit the section tags in Revit. I've tried going through Properties> Edit Type to change the size, and type of the tag (or the section head), but i notice there are only seven options, and no way to change the size of them. Is there a Family Type I can edit? Where would I find it? Is there a way to create my own, perhaps, and upload it into my model template?

Thanks in advance,

Cory - Homes By Dundee

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
AJA14
in reply to: HomesByDundee

Hi. Good question. Go to the section tag, edit type, in the type prop. click next to the section tag, in the new dialog you will see the name of the two families used (One for the head and one for the tail). Look for those and modify them, or create your own and replace them.

Regards.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 3 of 28
HomesByDundee
in reply to: AJA14

Thank you so much for your help, I got it figured now. Although my reference line does not line up, but I think I can work through that. Much appreciated.

Thanks, again.

Cory

Message 4 of 28
knguyen12

Hi,

Do you have any advice to make it like attached below?

I had it very close but text doesn't rotate. The Idea is that we don't want to use the bubble head like revit default.

Message 5 of 28
AJA14
in reply to: knguyen12

Hi. I will try to make it simple.

1- In your new section head, tail, ... you need to create 2 labels, one horizontal one vertical.

2- Add 2 visibility parameter, one for the horizontal and one for the vertica. Make these type parameters. 

3- Assign the visibility parameters to the corresponding labels. 

4- Create 2 Sections types, one called Section Horizontal, and one Section Vertical. 

5- Make sure the horizontal text is invisible in the vertical section and vice versa. 

Regards. 

Ali Al-Hammoud
Message 6 of 28
HomesByDundee

Hey Chase, it's funny that you would mention that, that was actually me who posted it. I have corrected the size of the section head. One thing I noticed upon the change was that the section cut line is now not attached, I will try to correct that today. I am thinking I might be able to do the same with dimension tick marks as well. Do you know what size they should be? If you have a moment later on, there are some other things I would like to discuss with you about the Revit updates. Have a great day, Cory
Message 7 of 28
Joanah-Banana

😞

It works but only in the plan view.

It fails in section view and elevation.

This is essentially what you are suggesting:

http://www.screencast.com/t/ZmFiMTIzN2

Please help

Message 8 of 28
mimarsultan

You said: ''Go to the section tag, edit type, in the type prop. click next to the section tag'' Could you explain it.I didn't understand.How can I find families

Message 9 of 28
AJA14
in reply to: mimarsultan

Hi,

The families are in the project browser. The section itself is a system family composed of 2 loadable nested families. So basically, when you select the section and go to the type properties, the section tag itself is simply another family nested into this. That is where the updates need to be made. So after changing these nested families, create a new section and replace the old ones with the updated ones.

Regards,

Ali Al-Hammoud
Message 10 of 28
tre_mac

Cory, were you able to to make the section cut line attach to the section head after all? I'm encountering this problem now - I created a smaller section head but now the tail is no longer attached and I cannot find a solution. Thanks!

Message 11 of 28
arcitek
in reply to: tre_mac

I hate to dredge up an old post but at times it seems the better thing to do when the former post is relevant.  I am trying to create a different section type to use on a keyplan that would show where all of the wall sections are cut.  The reason I want to create a unique section marker is because this keyplan would be at 1/32" scale and I want the section heads to be a bit smaller than normal so they do not smoother or crowd the keyplan.  I went into the section types, duplicated the building section type and renamed.  I then made unique section heads and tails to load.  For the keyplan, I duplicated my floor plan without notes, cleaned it up, then added a new wall section mark referencing whatever view I already had in the drawing.  All good so far.  Selected the section I used, changed the type and the head to my unique items and it updated ALL section cuts throughout the project which is NOT what I wanted.

DId this occur because the building section cut is a system family with only two default types, wall and building section types?  I cannot figure out why I was unable to make this happen.

Message 12 of 28
galenanderson
in reply to: tre_mac

@tre_mac wrote:

Cory, were you able to to make the section cut line attach to the section head after all? I'm encountering this problem now - I created a smaller section head but now the tail is no longer attached and I cannot find a solution. Thanks!

Im also trying to figure out which family controls the extent of this line. Did you ever find a solution to get it to touch?

Message 13 of 28

I too am unable to get the section cut "segment" to touch the smaller diameter callout.  Did anyone find a solution?

Michael Evan Feinstein Architect
EVAN STUDIO | ARCHITECTURE | DESIGN | BUILD | LLC

Autodesk BDSU 2015
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, SP1
BOXX APEXX 2 2401; 32 GB RAM; i7 Quad Core z-97 4.5 Ghz; Quadro K4200
Message 14 of 28

This video explains it very well:

Revit Custom Section Head Tutorial 

Tags (4)
Message 15 of 28

Not too sure what the problem is here, i cant replicate the issues people are describing

I have tried it with some very small section head symbols and it seems to be working perfectly well. Here is my process.

1. New > Annotation symbol > Metric section head.rft
  2. Read and delete the note
  3. Move the left ref. plane to set the size of the symbol
  4. Draw in the symbol and add whatever labels you want
  5. Save the symbol and load into project

In the Project:

1. click to create a section > then Edit type > duplicate > *new section name*
  2. click on the small link button next to the "Building section" part in the type properties (this open another window)
  3. you are now in the properties for the nested "section tag" you need to duplicate this aswell or you will edit all existing sections that use this tag
  4. Change the head to your new one and click through the OK's

Job done

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 16 of 28

Thank you @Alisder.Brown & @galenanderson .  It was a simple problem that both of your replies solved.

My problem (and perhaps others who've encountered the issue) was that I moved the right & left reference lines equally away from the center of the symbol as if the "origin" was centered.

I now see that the correct method is to only move only the left reference line i.e. the symbol graphics are right justified.

Problem solved.  Thank you.

Michael Evan Feinstein Architect
EVAN STUDIO | ARCHITECTURE | DESIGN | BUILD | LLC

Autodesk BDSU 2015
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, SP1
BOXX APEXX 2 2401; 32 GB RAM; i7 Quad Core z-97 4.5 Ghz; Quadro K4200
Message 17 of 28

I am trying to do create a simple section marker as you can see in the attached picture, but cannot manage to get the annotation text on the right side of the marker. It works for half of the marker, let me know if anyone has the solution to this 

Section Markers.jpg

Message 18 of 28
ToanDN
in reply to: danjameschapman

Semi-automatic.  You would still need to flip the head/tail visibility until they look right.

Capture.PNG

Message 19 of 28
danjameschapman
in reply to: ToanDN

Those look great, I tried to open your file but you are in a later version of revit. I'm on 2015 students version, is it possible for you to downsave or anything?
Message 20 of 28
ToanDN
in reply to: danjameschapman

Revit 2013.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report