Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify Roofs Edit Footprint Contextual Ribbon

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
PDHStudentOfWisdom
1775 Views, 1 Reply

Modify Roofs Edit Footprint Contextual Ribbon

I would just like to pose a question. Is it me or has something changed recently about going into Sketch Mode, specifically concerning Modify Footprint? Normally a Contextual Ribbon would come up after clicking the Edit Footprint button that included a Draw Panel with options to use the Boundary Line or Slope Arrow with a few Draw Tools to the right of these. There was, in addition, a Work Plane Panel and a Tools Panel. Obviously these tools and this form of code in the application afforded the user the ability to make very meticulous changes to the slope and boundaries of Sketch based elements. However, it seems that this system even before one has really even wrapped his head around it has been replaced with a Contextual Ribbon that has 2 Panels a Mode Panel and a Shape Editting Panel. The Mode Panel has a Edit Footprint button which when you select for example a roof and then click the Edit Footprint button Revit goes into Sketch Mode, however you can do nothing other then maybe extend the boundary lines or enable Defines Slope or set a Roof Overhang. But the Finish Edit Mode has been left out so whatever changes you make can not be establisehed because you cannot exit Sketch Mode to effect the changes. The Shape Editting Panel took a few minutes and then I got the gist of the tools, and it seems like I could do some very sophisticated things with the roof surfaces using this Panel. However, this is a drastic modification to the software and for what reason is beyond me other than causing there to be more down time with reacclimation to the software because of changes that are taking place. It becomes somewhat analagous to shifting sand dunes (which I do not wish become of utility with Autodesk) but that every time you dig something in the bank of a hill of sand, more sand just comes down to fill the hole that you just dug...you end up being in the same place that you were before in terms of progress. I would, by God, desire to make progress in Autodesk Revit software and not keep getting bogged down with what seems to be nebulous modifications to the User Interface. You have to look at this from the perspective of someone that has over the last 2 years starting with Revit 2012 been trying to get Professional Certification in Revit Archi. Why all of these changes in 2 years? There is a huge conceptualization learning curve with the software...which makes just wrapping our heads around some of these concepts has its challenges. Add to that regular changes and modifications to the program and it is somewhat steep. I am not sure if it was an automatic update or what but is it possisble that some if not most of these changes can find themselves in the Add-Ins section or be made optional somehow. It really is not funny.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

@PDHStudentOfWisdom wrote:

Contextual Ribbon that has 2 Panels a Mode Panel and a Shape Editing Panel. The Mode Panel has a Edit Footprint button which when you select for example a roof and then click the Edit Footprint button Revit goes into Sketch Mode, however you can do nothing other then maybe extend the boundary lines or enable Defines Slope or set a Roof Overhang. But the Finish Edit Mode has been left out so whatever changes you make can not be established because you cannot exit Sketch Mode to effect the changes. The Shape Editing Panel took a few minutes and then I got the gist of the tools, and it seems like I could do some very sophisticated things with the roof surfaces using this Panel.

Hello - I just wanted to take a moment to maybe help a little.. Specifically on the different options in the contextual menu for roofs.

When you have a flat roof you do have the two panels - Mode to edit the actual footprint of the roof and then Shape Editing to modify the subelements of a roof. I have attached 2 images that show the differences in the uses of the tools. The first image is the standard editing of the outline of the roof. The second is using the modify sub elements and how you can use them to slope a roof to a roof drain since no flat roof is truly flat. You can use the points to pull down or depress an area to slope it in a specific direction or build up to make a cricket or saddle.

So there are a few options on what you can do with your roof. I hope this helps a bit.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report