Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modified Revit Computer Specs

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
USAArchitect
1328 Views, 4 Replies

Modified Revit Computer Specs

Here's my modified specs for what I hope will be a great Revit/Lumion/Acad 2013+ computer:

I am getting about ready to place an order for this Revit Computer. I have reviewed AutoDesk and Lumion's requirements and had online chats with both organizations. I think I have this thing about right. Anyone knowledgeable with computer builds and Revit and Lumion, please feel free to give your opinion. Ready? Here we go:

New proposed 64 bit Revit-Lumion-AutoCad computer 3/25/2013

REVIT COMPUTER SPECS:

Case: Core Fractal 3000 USB 3.0 ATX case/chassis

Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 850w ATX

Motherboard: Supermicro X9SRA single socket R (LGA 2011) E5 ATC workstation/server DDR3, 1600 12xUSB, 2x PCI-E 3.0x16.

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.6GHz, socket R LGA 2011 130w.

CPU Cooling fan/device: Gelid Solutions Tranquillo cc-TranQ-01-A 120mm hydro dynamic CPU cooler * Rev.2

RAM: 32GB (Kingston 8GB x4 (1600MHz, DDR3, ECC Reg CL11 DIMM DR Hynix C)) Leaves 4 slots available for 4 more DIMMs and if desired, all DIMMS could be replaced in the future with 32GB DIMMs to yield 256GB RAM (after the price comes down in a few years).

SSDs: Two 512GB SSDs. Open to suggestions. Have seen these priced online for around $329 each. Two in RAID 1.

HDDs: None.

Graphics: nVidia Quadro K4000 3GB

DVD/CD: read and write to both DVD and CD.

Functional software: MS Office Home & Business 2013.

Graphics software: Revit 2013 LT Suite (just purchased), Lumion standard (considering) (neither of these in the price).

This machine should be around $3345 US, including UPS ground shipping.

Monitor: probably a Dell 27" 2560x1440 UltraSharp. Saw on Amazon for as low as $609+$17 shipping.

Any comments on the above system? And before anyone says it's overkill, remember how lofty 4GB of RAM seemed in 2006? Well, that's what my aging Dell has and now I have to upgrade. My guess is that by 2018, 32GB will be standard and many people thinking 256GB RAM might seem wise. Thanks for your thoughts. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ITmadness
in reply to: USAArchitect

Seems a bit much for Revit LT?  I would think the specs fit Revit Architecture/MEP better than LT.

I would skip the RAID 1 on the SSDs. Also skip the 512GB drives and go for speeder 256GB drives with RAID 0 (if needed).  Backup and store data on a 2TB disk drive.  The HDs will provide a bigger impact than the video card.

32GB of RAM is standard now.  OS limitations typically is the only factor. 

Message 3 of 5
USAArchitect

Thanks for your input, IT.  Why wouldn't you want everything immediately backed up to the other SSD via mirroring in RAID 1?  If either SSD ever goes bad, you'd then have everything remaining on the other.

And with software growing, my concern about a 256GB drive is that this could be ovewhelmed some day with new software and file swapping requirements, couldn't it?

Yes, I have planned on a 4TB WD additional data storage/backup external drive.  Found them on Amazon for $178.

My guess is that Lumion, + Revit LT, +AutoCadLT + e-mail + other simultaneous applications could tax any system, depending on operations.  And AutoDesk days that their LT versions do provide 80% of the functionality of their full versions.  Revit 3D Models will likely only get bigger and more complex.

Can you explain about your comment: "The HDs will provide a bigger impact than the video card."

Not sure what that implies: that HDs will slow down everything?  Which is why I was exploring the possibility of an all-SSD machine.  Does that still seem wise to you?  Any concern about SSD failures versus HD failures?

You are the first person to agree with me that 32GB is becoming the norm.  It will be only a question of time before it becomes 64, then 128, then 256.  2016?  2018?  We will all find out, I'm sure. 

Thanks for your insights.

Message 4 of 5
ITmadness

RAID 1 adds additional overhead to the drives, minuscule, but some.  You still have one point of failure with the RAID card (embedded or addon).  So why not go for speed with a RAID 0 setup.  I have found the 256GB SSDs are faster than their large counter parts at this point.   Granted they are catching up quick.  Most current SSD will out last the traditional HDs so failure rate is not a concern. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-reliability-failure-rate,2923.html

The HDs will provide a bigger impact than the video card. --> Just adding a 256GB (non RAID) drive to a system proved more beneficial than a Quadro 4000 video card in Revit/ACA Architecture suite.  Unless you're doing intense 3D modeling the SSD will provide more speed than a higher level video card.  A Quadro 2000 would be fine. 

Plan on using the same PC for five years?  Plan for three years with the fourth year for replacement.   Software and hardware change way too much to make it truly productive in five years.  2007/2008 Core2 Duos and Xeon E5400 series were prime...  Now both barely run Revit or ACA effectively.  

Windows 7 x64 was locked to 192GBs. 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

Not sure if Revit LT would actually be able to take advantage of that much RAM.  System requirements are pretty weak for the LT version.  4GB RAM and a Bit video card with Directx 10 compatibility on XP or 7 (poor Vista) as the OS.   But maybe it would use 4-5GBs and then Lumion use 4GB with email/internet open to use another 1-2GB..  Might be worth it to grow into.

Message 5 of 5
USAArchitect
in reply to: ITmadness

Thanks for the update, IT. Good information you provided there. Judging from my past record, I appear to update computers about once every 6 years, so I like to go a little overboard on each upgrade. And my old Dells are still cranking along, God bless'em. Someone told me that Lumion prefers 12GB. And with RAM being cheap, I think 32GB for now would be wise, with the ability to grow into at least 64GB in the future. The # of pass-points with Lumion is critical. After contacting their Netherlands HQ and asking them why they didn't like Quadros, I discovered that they just thought those were not a good value. I tend to disagree, however, as AutoDesk certifies and recommends Quadros bigtime. After investigating, Lumion finally told me that they believed that the K4000 card has over 2300 pass-points and that means that is should work well for Lumion, in their opinion. So, going to a lesser Quadro card could be an issue with Lumion. Thanks for the reference articles. Good info. Have a great day.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report