Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modification Tools on Ribbon not available.

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
bmyers
2690 Views, 10 Replies

Modification Tools on Ribbon not available.

I have a user that isn't getting the modify tools when it comes to Profile modification or adjusting such items as curtain grids.

I'm aware of all the standard ways of hitting TAB, etc, but selecting the proper item isn't the issue. When the profile edge (of anything) or curtain grid line (unpinned, of course) of curtain walls are selected the tools for modification (add-remove segment, edit profile, etc) simply don't appear on the ribbon.

Revit 2012: What would cause this?

--------------
Brian Myers
Sr Applications Engineer - Autodesk Revit Architecture Certified Instructor (ACI)
Seiler Instrument, St Louis MO
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: bmyers

It could be several things, so it is hard to say without seeing the file. But, in 2013 there is an option for "display the contextual tab on selection" or not. (I don't know if that option is there in 2012). Do you see at least a green tab on the ribbon saying "Modify | Curtain wall grids"?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 11
bmyers
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Well, this is 2012.  Yes, the green tab show up.

For your understanding:

1. On a curtain wall, select the grid line.

2. On the ribbon the "green" will appear (Modify Curtain Wall Grids)

3. All the modify tools will be there (like you normally see on the Modify tab) but the green "Curtain Grid" Panel that contains Add/Remove  Segments does not appear.

(I'm privately wondering if this might be a .NET issue, but I've not tried to have them uninstall-reinstall it yet).

--------------
Brian Myers
Sr Applications Engineer - Autodesk Revit Architecture Certified Instructor (ACI)
Message 4 of 11
Alfredo_Medina

That's the same result I would get in 2013 if I uncheck that option for "display contextual tab on selection". So, see if 2012 has that option. However, you can always click on the green tab, and the tools should be there. What happens when you click on the green tab?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 11
bmyers

The box is checked.  Also clicking the tab doesn't matter (it's actually already active anyway).

Any other ideas?

--------------
Brian Myers
Message 6 of 11
Alfredo_Medina

@bmyers wrote:

Any other ideas?

No. Then it might be something with the .NET components. There might be other threads here with some links about it.

Message 7 of 11
bmyers

Yep.  We're working on the .NET now (uninstall/reinstall), will update if that fixes it.

--------------
Brian Myers
Message 8 of 11
loboarch

Is the user working on a Windows 8 machine?  There is a conflict with MS .NET 4.5 framework and the WPF tool kit used to create the Revit UI.  If you were working on Revit 2013 the most recent update corrects the conflict, but there is not an update for Revit 2012.  Currently you can't use Revit 2012 with Windows 8  (.NET 4.5 is required for Windows 😎 or with a PC upadted to .NET 4.5.  If you are not on a Windows 8 PC you can roll back the .NET version installed to correct the issue, or if you stay on Windows 8 you need to update to Revit 2013 Update release 2

The .NET changes you are working on will probably resolve the issue.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 9 of 11
bmyers

Update:

It was a Windows 7 computer, but uninstalling .NET 4.5 and installing .NET 4.0 fixed it.

For those that require it, here's the current link to .NET 4.0 directly from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

--------------
Brian Myers
Message 10 of 11
dfs-arch

Hi,

I'm having the same problem with 2016 in Windows 7...is the solution still the same?

Message 11 of 11
RClayton72
in reply to: dfs-arch

I've just had a user report the same problem with 2016 on Windows 7, and was wondering the same thing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report