Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model Roof Materials issue

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
tea_fanatic
977 Views, 3 Replies

Model Roof Materials issue

I am creating a conceptual render to present to a client.  To make matters easy (or so I thought) I drew the roof as a thick object in order to create the canopy.  This was fine until I rendered it and realized that the entire thing is black (EPDM material) and I need the front to be siding... The only thing I can think of is to eliminate that part of the roof and draw a second element that has the siding- only this will put the siding on the top as well (I need the top to stay black or white).

Also I extruded model lines to create the top elements of the canopy- and cannot apply a material to them... I'm at a loss and unsure how to proceed...

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
arunag
in reply to: tea_fanatic

1. Roof extrusion could have been done using the Roof:Facia tool , which is easy to place.

In this case you must have done model in place of Roof & used sweep, that is why once you finish the command you are not seeing the material option. Select the extrusion roof (done by model lines) ..select Edit inplace in the ribbon, then in properties the material option is available. 

2. The front canopy also could be a roof facia. This command is profile based hence you require to create a profile family to get the drop or sweeps as required. 

In this case, its just a thick roof depth, if you want a quick solution to it, just use the Modify tab...Paint by face...select the siding material & select the face to be siding.( always create a new material(name it) & then assign from the asset browser the material you want, this will avoid changing of the material everywhere)

paint.jpg

Aruna
School of Architecture
Ramaiah Institute of Technology
Bangalore
Message 3 of 4
tea_fanatic
in reply to: arunag

I did use Fascia for the smallest piece originally but it wouldn’t allow me to change the dimensions as I needed to.  So then I went and modelled a component with lines and extruded them to be around the canopy for the correct visual representation.

When I attempt to do as you say in point #1, I do not have the option you have described.  I have chosen a material within the Family Types as that is the only place I can find to do it but still it does not render as anything except a grey blob…

As for point #2 using paint by face worked great for a solution to the appearance of the canopy!  Thank you for that!!

So remaining problem is either figure out a way to make the fascia 2’ 3/16” deep and 4” wide or to apply material to whatever I currently have!

Message 4 of 4
tea_fanatic
in reply to: arunag

I was actually able to paint by face those extrusions too!!!  Thank you very much for your help!!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report