Revit Architecture

Revit Architecture

Active Contributor
alex.gotthelf
Message 1 of 2 (149 Views)

Model In Place Component

149 Views, 1 Replies
11-05-2012 12:29 PM

I have been unable to find a family or component already modeled for an aluminum window from an old industrial building so I decided to model it in place.  The window repeats a lot so I will want to copy it.  I set my work plan on the face of the building and the modeling went fine. I am now trying to move it into the wall and it does not behave like a window family (I selected window when I established the component) in terms of the wall acting like a host. Is there a way to make a component do this? If not, do I Edit Profile of the wall, create an opening and place the component in the opening? If so...

I am also having trouble detaching the windw component from the work plan it was created on.  I can't move it around freely in th x,y,or z planes.  The "detach from plane" icon does not reappear when editing the component so I don't know how to detach it?  When creating the component, I didn't detach all the extrusions created after the first one beause I want them to stay together.  Please advise how to approach this.  Thanks!

ag
*Expert Elite*
ccollins
Message 2 of 2 (148 Views)

Re: Model In Place Component

11-05-2012 12:36 PM in reply to: alex.gotthelf

The best practice is to create the window family separately using the Window Family Template, save-as, and the load it into the Project. ( creating lots of in-place families will cause problems with the project.)

However in your case, having special concerns about an existing building and window profile--modeling in-place may be a  better way to generate the window family.

There is a way to then save the in-place family out as an external family, and then load it into the project.

http://whatrevitwants.blogspot.com/2011/07/save-in-place-family-as-rfa-for-use-in.html

Hope this helps.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.