Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Categories in Multi-Category Material Takeoff

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
sagar.londonites
3719 Views, 6 Replies

Missing Categories in Multi-Category Material Takeoff

Revit Architecture 2011.

OK, After a lot of experience with scheduling, I know Revit doesn't list all categories when you create a multi-category schedule or material takeoff.

For example, when I create a multi-category material takeoff, the materials used in Railings or Slab-edges don't display - I know they're there in model, they're just not listed in material takeoff.

My question is: Is there an official list of categories that Revit ignoers while creating a multi-category material takeoff?

- Sagar
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

The following element categories cannot schedule materials in a material-takeoff schedule:

1.  Railings

2.  Balusters

3.  Curtain Wall Mullions

4.  Wall Sweeps

5.  Ramps

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 7

OK, thanks!

Is there any workaround for this? I need to know how much metal goes into my railings and how much concrete goes into my curb and parapet cap.

- Sagar
Message 4 of 7
rhuserik
in reply to: sagar.londonites

It is disappointing that Revit doesn't consistantly report materials throughout the model. I noticed that this has not been addressed for many years...seeing posts from 2008 from people who can't get sweep materials to show up in a schedule.  I have never seen a cost estimate from a contractor that didn't include railings or parapet copings because their estimating software didn't include them. Why does there have to be such inconsistancies and why are they left unaddressed for so long?

Respectfully submitted -Rob

Message 5 of 7
sagar.londonites
in reply to: rhuserik

True.

Seems like the categories ignored by Revit while calculating materials are mostly profile-based - Mullions, Sweeps, Railings, Balusters... 

It is truly disappointing since these elements sometimes contain non-neglectable amount of material. They need to be shceduled for correct cost estimate.

- Sagar
Message 6 of 7

All these years later and No resolution... I believe the OP asked for an official list of objects that were not supported in the material-takeoff schedule.  Maybe if the problem can't be fixed we could at least get that list.  Maybe the help file at least could be fixed to show unsupported objects. Even an incomplete list would be better than what is there now.

Just from my current Architectural project I have found the following list of unsupported objects:

Curtain Wall Mullions

Entourage

Fascias

Gutters

Planting

Railings

Railings:Handrails

Ramps

Roof Soffits

Slab Edges

Stairs:Landings

Stairs:Supports

Wall Sweeps

The problem I am having is NOT scheduling so I don't need the "parts" solution.  What I really need to do is clean up my material editor...  If anyone has a solution I would really appreciate it.  I am trying to find which material are not being used in the project... I know at one time the purge command (I think 2015) would clean up the materials but it would inadvertently remove the materials from wall sweeps (maybe this was a problem known back then).  I don't know if I am more frustrated that I have given Autodesk the $$$$ or the excessively long time to resolve these type problem to no avail.  Sorry for the Rant but would love a solution to clean up the material... and I am sure I am not alone.

Thanks,

Message 7 of 7

The material in Pads?!?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report