Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mirror command flipping families?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
MKFreiert
4365 Views, 7 Replies

mirror command flipping families?

still on this family quality control audit... i've come across some new and entertaining behavior.

several fmailies (face based) flip host sides with their flip controls as expected, but if i mirror them , instead of flipping along the mirror line as an accurate reflection, they ALSO flip top to bottom, AND around the face.

the right family in both views is the original, the left is the new mirror. (plan and elevation views in wire frame included)  you can see it landed within the wall, and upsidedown. 

anyone run into this before?  

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CoreyDaun
in reply to: MKFreiert

In the MEP world, we have to deal with that behavior; if we try to mirror a receptacle along the same wall face, it will cause the workplane to flip as well, so we have to select each one individually and click "flip work plane" (FlipWorkPlane.JPG) to correct them. This is quite the pain when we are forced to use the Mirror Project tool.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 8
MKFreiert
in reply to: CoreyDaun

interesting. i wonder if this is related to me converting those families from wall to face based via MEP.

SO, what's different about MEP families that would cause this?
Message 4 of 8
CoreyDaun

It's hard to say - I think a lot of a Family's behavior is determined by the template that was used to create it. Using Copy/Monitor preserves the behavior of the original Family, which is employed in a trick to force desired functionality into a family when it's template won't normally allow it. Anyway, below is a short video demonstrating a random and strange behavior involving mirroring a family with an embedded Generic Annotation.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 8
MKFreiert

corey that's similar behavior to what i'm describing, however it's doing it with all elements of the family and the behavior is NOT present in the original family.
it is once the family has been changed to a MEP lighting family it happens. i've not seen this happen in general in lighting families.

your example could be related to annotation orientation as that element seems to be trying to retain relative position.iv'e played with always vertical tags in source and conversion and that doesn't seem related.
Message 6 of 8
CoreyDaun

See if that behavior exists in the original family, or if was a result of the conversion; create a new project, place an instance onto a Wall, and then mirror it. If it is determined that this was inherited by the Copy/Monitor method, try using a different Category, such as Mechanical Equipment.

Message 7 of 8
MKFreiert

Corey, 

my last message stated that it was not present.

Message 8 of 8
CoreyDaun

Sorry. But, did you try performing this task using another temporary Category instead of Lighting FIxtures? If it still possesses this problem, could you post the Family here?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report