Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MEP Link

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
rschnureIV
11230 Views, 11 Replies

MEP Link

When linking in a revit mep 2012 into an architectural model is there a way to change the colors of the mep elements (ie. ductwork, piping etc.) to black or even to grayscale?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CoreyDaun
in reply to: rschnureIV

Most of the time, the Ductwork, Piping, etc. is colored by System Overrides, which supersedes the normal V/G Overrides. I think your best method would be to create a View Filter that affects all of the Duct and Piping categories, assign no Filter Rules, and then this can be used to set all of those elements to black or whatever color you wish.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

As I recall, you can highlight the entire Linked MEP model, right click--and then select Override Graphics in View and select Halftone, and select the color.

To do it "globally"--you could open the MEP file, go to Object Styles, and change everything to grey and/or halftone, then save/reload the Linked MEP model in your Arch. file.

Message 4 of 12
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

"As I recall, you can highlight the entire Linked MEP model, right click--and then select Override Graphics in View and select Halftone, and select the color."

You can apply halftone to these categories by normal means, (through "V/G") by setting the categories or the entire link to halftone. I don't think that you can Override in View by Element, then entire thing, though.

@Anonymous wrote:

"To do it "globally"--you could open the MEP file, go to Object Styles, and change everything to grey and/or halftone, then save/reload the Linked MEP model in your Arch. file."

The System Overrides will trump Object Styles as well. If you want to change the color within the MEP Model, one would have to go to Project Browser » Families » Duct Systems and go to each system's Type Properties » Graphic Overrides and click "Clear Overrides". The same must be done with Piping Systems.

I don't have Revit Architecture, so can someone verify if you can access "Duct Systems" in the Project Browser?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 12
J_Travis_Yates

So there is no way from the Architecutral side to turn off the color? 

Message 6 of 12
SDLott356

The only workaround we found (which is time-consuming, depending on the size of the model) is this:

Open the MEP model in Revit Architecture

Scroll down to Families in the Project Browser

Expand Duct Systems and/or Piping Systems

Double-click each system (i.e. Exhaust Air, Return Air, Supply Air) and click the Graphic Overrides parameter EDIT button

Change the Line Color to <No Override> (or whatever color desired)

Save, exit, and reload link in Revit Architecture

It's a small task for us, but our consultants find value in those elements changing colors when they are properly connected in the model.  Hope this helps!

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: SDLott356

Thank you very much!

It saved me a lot of time.

Message 8 of 12
PBakhsheshi_CD

I have 2 separate linked models, Mech & Plumbing and am trying to distinguish between the Pipes/Ducts. The filter overrides all the objects in the model. i.e. all the Pipes in both links change color if I apply a filter to the view. Also tried to put the 2 models in separate worksets and use that as a parameter in the filter which did not help either.

Appreciate your help.

Message 9 of 12
pascal.robben

I found this option and it covers most elements of the linked MEP model by filter and changing color.

linked-file-revit-mep-has-colors.html 

After 6 years to the previous post, it's strange that it still isn't easy within Revit

Message 10 of 12
RSomppi1
in reply to: pascal.robben

If you're still using Revit 2016, when this thread was created and that article that you posted were written, then nothing has changed. You just brought us on a ride in the Way Back Machine.

Message 11 of 12
pascal.robben
in reply to: RSomppi1

In Revit 2021 it's still the same.

I was looking for a solution and came at this topic, sounds like a bad ride then 😉

But what I really want is, just select/filter the linked model and change appearance. How hard could it be?

Message 12 of 12
RobDraw
in reply to: pascal.robben

Do you have a problem creating filters?

Do you want them handed to you? Ask your BIM/CAD Manager. 

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report