Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Usage Problem

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
mattshott9
893 Views, 14 Replies

Memory Usage Problem

i have an i7-2600 with 8gb of ram and even when i only have a family open it uses up to 7.75 gb of my ram. that doesnt seem right at all. if anyone has any insight on why that might be happening please let me know

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
DarrenP
in reply to: mattshott9

which version of revit?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
mattshott9

Revit 12...my file is only 6 mb and also the ram runs high even when I'm only running a family to import into my project...
Message 4 of 15
rosskirby

Do you have the same problem with any other programs, or is it just Revit?

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 15
mattshott9

just revit...ive run rhino and the ram doesnt sky rocket up like revit 12 does

Message 6 of 15
rosskirby

Is it just with one file, or is with any file you open in Revit?  

Is the usage spiking and falling, or staying high at 7.75 GB?  

Do you notice a performance hit, or are you just monitoring the RAM usage?  

Does this affect any other programs you're using while also running Revit?

Does it happen whenever you perform a certain task (load a family) or whenever you're working with a specific object?

Is this a new computer, or a new installation of Revit, or both?

Have previous versions of Revit run well on the same machine?

Was Revit installed from a download or from a disk?

Sorry for all the questions, but you really didn't give us much to go on with your original post.  It's hard to narrow down "why won't it work" problems without an abundance of information - the more, the better.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 7 of 15
mattshott9

its any file i open in revit. even the smallest of families i build.

it usage just up initially to like 3 gb and then it gets up to 7.75gb like 15 mins of me using the file.

i do notice a performance hit, its keeps stalling and since i noticed the usage problem i have been monitoring it and stays around 7.75-7.8gb

the only application ive had open is the internet and it seems to affecting that alil bit.

some tasks seemed to b unaffected but even on the easiest task of putting a wall in it stalls.

i just bought this computer. and i downloaded the student version.

i really appriciate your help...thank you...been alil frustrating

Message 8 of 15
mattshott9
in reply to: rosskirby

my computer is an i7 2600 and has 8gb of ram...

Message 9 of 15
rosskirby

Thanks for all the answers.  I understand how frustrating it can be.

Since it seems to be happening universally, and isn't apparently caused by any one specific task, I would guess that there was some problem with your download, which does happen on occasion.  Try re-downloading the install file, then uninstall and reinstall Revit.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 10 of 15
mattshott9
in reply to: rosskirby

so i completley uninstalled revit and then redownloaded revit and then installed and opened up my file again to see if it worked i opened up task manager to see the how the performanced change. it just gradually went back up to 7+ gb

do u have any other ideas on what might be causing this much memory use?

Message 11 of 15
jpc6

I have the same problem. My computer is i7 2gHz, 6GB de RAM, AMD 6770M. The problem is similar when I open a file begins to increase the use of ram, any different change uin the file make increase a lot the use of RAM until it arrives to the max capacity and I need to close and reopen the revit.

I 's like to know the solution how to solve!

regards

Message 12 of 15
jpc6
in reply to: jpc6

Finally I saw it's a problem with the graphic drivers. I had the hardware acceleration on (direct 3D) but if I unchek it I can see that the problem of memory leak dissapears. Until new drivers coming is the solution I found it to solve.

regards,

Message 13 of 15
4cornersDesign
in reply to: jpc6

I too am dying to know how to fix it. Turning of Graphics Acceleration did not work for me. The Memory used just keeps rising until I'm out of memory and then I have to close Revit and re-start it. Never happened before with previous versions of Revit on the exact same computer.

Message 14 of 15
jdiaz

This is What I did, remove Revit, and download it from Autodesk Site. Run it as Trial, then activade it. It looks like one of the files is corrupted. The version from Autodesk Site is clean.

Try and let me know...

Message 15 of 15
jdiaz
in reply to: 4cornersDesign

07-17-2013 03:10 PM in reply to: 4cornersDesign
Hey guys,
I downloaded the trial version of Revit 2014 (not Revit Architecture which is what I've always used) and guess what...no memory issues?

So either my Revit Architecture install got fouled, the file itself was corrupt, or RA2014 has a built in bug?

Either way, at least I know its not my machines!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report