Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material takeoff counts all layers

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
HVAC-Novice
1949 Views, 2 Replies

Material takeoff counts all layers

I created wall (and roof) schedule to get my wall area and noticed it is 3 or 4 times the actual area. I noticed in the schedule whne adding "Material:volume" that it counts each layer . See attached screenshot. For some reason it counts the wall components (in my case metal panel, insulation, and metal panel).

I thought of filtering, but there doesn't seem to be a way to filter to get only one layer. How do i get reliably the accurate wall, roof and other areas? I c an't see a reason to want to have the sibngle layers seprated out. Like in my example I use insulated metal panels, you never would buy the layers separately.

For CMU walls I hoped to get a correct number as htis is just one layer. But it also reports the paint as area. It seems dangerous to rely on that...

While researching I found the hint to use "parts". I'm not quite sure what that woudl mean. My objective is to get accurate areas of walls, roofs etc. to cost-estimate.

Revit version: R2024.2
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
L.Maas
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

I understand that in your case a single layer is sufficient. For many other people they want to have the information on all layers.

Depending on your situation I can think of several approaches.

1-Basically you are not doing a material takeoff. Consider to make a normal schedule.

2-In case layers are not interesting to you, you could make your walls from a single layer.

3-Make use of a parameter and then filter on that. For example you could use an existing material parameter (e.g. comments) and fill that for the layers that you do not want to calculate with something significant (e.g "Not In Material Schedule"). In your Schedulte filter on this parameter to exclude these materials.

Material.png

Of course you can also add a new parameter to your materials for this purpose.

Material 2.png 

In your schedule you can now filter on this.

Schedule.png

After pressing Ok Plasterboard will be removed from the schedule.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 3
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: L.Maas

Thanks for the reply. I understand, what I want is a normal schedule and that seems to work.

So I basiclaly just used the wrong type of schedule for my objective. 

The material take-off schedule is for soemone actually wanting to know all the components, like to actually fabricate it.

Revit version: R2024.2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report