Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massing a compound curved roof

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
jason_spiller
2662 Views, 19 Replies

Massing a compound curved roof

Hi

I am a 3rd year part time Architectural Technology student and I am having a bitch of a time trying to create a compound curved roof in Revit 2013 using the massing tool. I created a template in 3ds max, which i then imported to a new mass family to create a roof by face, but It will not create. I have tried asking my local BIM people but they tell me the roof is too complicated for REVIT to handle - anyone here got any thoughts? I have attached a copy of the file.

Thanks in advance

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

working in Conceptual Mass and using a .dwg underlay as you want to:

If you want a faceted volume as in .dwg file:

1. in a 3d View > Create >Pick Lines - Pick on contour lines at Level 1, then on contur lines ov Level 2 , and so on till Level 16 
  2. using TAB select the entire contour on Level 1 and using CTRL the entire contour at Level 2 > Create Form > Solid Form 
  3. repeat the step for Level 2 and Level 3 , Level 3 and Level 4 , till Level 15 and Level 16
  4. Load final volume into the Project and apply Wall by Face

Image 02.png

Image 04.png

if you want to obtain a smooth surface then:

1. in a 3d View > Create >Pick Lines - Pick on contour lines at Level 1
  2.  Create >Pick Lines - Pick on contour lines at Level 16,
  3. select contour from Level 1 and Level 16 > Create Form > Solid Form 
  4. select the rough volume, activate : Form Element > X-Ray and > Add Profile
  5. place the profile as you want and then scale it so to make it a little bigger ...control the curvature from this intermediate profile
  6. load the volume into Project and apply Wall by Face

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 3 of 20

and don't forget that every shape on level must be a closed contour!

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 4 of 20

Hi

Thank you for your advice - I had already tried method 1 without success - I have tried again (see roof fix 1 from forum advice) and whilst I can create a form for the wall mass, I am unable to create the form for the roof.

Still working on method 2 as have never tried that method before ut included work so far.

Message 5 of 20

Here is a pic of the roof with 2 profiles added - I do not know how to adjust the profiles, also because there are fewer vertices at level 16 than level 2 the vertical edges are distorting the surface - is it possible to fix this?

Message 6 of 20

Success!...kind of...

I have achieved my roof by using spline through points and then using creat form to join them - but with limited success. I could not creat the roof as a single object, but as separate sections, and when imported into revit scene would not accept roof by face but will accept wall by face (which is ok as the whole construction is using SIPs) but there is some odd behaviour as you casn see. Any thoughts?

Message 7 of 20

Hi

I have left several updates to the thread if you get a chance to look - thanks.

Message 8 of 20

the problems appear when the number of vertices differs from shape to shape ...and the triangulation can make errors

Image 02.png

Image 01.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 9 of 20
aali_mi3
in reply to: jason_spiller

Hi,

Hope this might help....

Imran Ali
BIM Designer
HBK.
Tags (1)
Message 10 of 20
aali_mi3
in reply to: aali_mi3

Its 2014 file..
Imran Ali
BIM Designer
HBK.
Message 11 of 20
jason_spiller

I'd like to thank you both for being a huge help with this assignment - definitley going to be looking more at profiles thanks to constantin, and  would be very interested in a brief explanation of aali's process as this seems to have provided the cleanest rewsult so far - thank you both 🙂

Message 12 of 20
aali_mi3

Hi Jason,

There are few ways to do that kind of stuff,but the easiest is to create the mass 1st, load into project and use wall by face.

refer the image for details...

Imran Ali

BIM Designer

HBK

Imran Ali
BIM Designer
HBK.
Message 13 of 20

using spline is a very good method, but ,sometimes ,when you need to dimension the curves you will want to use 3point arcs as I did in my example....

Image 01.pngan

spline based walls/roofs can not receive dimensions

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 14 of 20

Hi Constantin,

True, thats y i mention few ways to do it..

I also use 3 point when i m designing walls and other surfaces which doesn't have designer curtain panels or any kind of pattern.

The problem with 3 point is you have to draw few curves to get the desired shape,because of that your form won't be seamless.

It creates lot of problems when you are dividing the surface and adding patterns for curtain panels or any designer pattern,most of the time it will never be seamless. 

Imran Ali
BIM Designer
HBK.
Message 15 of 20
jason_spiller

It's rather funny actually, as I had been using all of the methods you have both described, just very ineffectively, I guess that's where several years of experince come in to play!

Aali, I'm still unclear how you created (specifically) the roof object - whilst the technique you describe is essentially the same as what constantin did your file didn't have the mass, just the the roof object and the roof was much neater - how exactly did you achieve this?

Message 16 of 20
aali_mi3

I have attached the .rfa, u can check that.

There are 3 mass objects,when you load into project apply wall by face to all 3 mass,it will come.

Imran Ali
BIM Designer
HBK.
Message 17 of 20
jason_spiller

Hello Again

I thought this problem was resolved but I'm having another issue - I have created several new masses using the methods discussed and my results keep going wrong.

I have attached my files - if you can tell me where I have gone wrong it will be much appreciated 🙂

Message 18 of 20
aali_mi3

URF.JPGURF2.JPG

U have intersections,Fix this and ur problem will get solved.

Imran Ali
BIM Designer
HBK.
Message 19 of 20

Hi

Thanks for your input but I'm still going wrong somewhere, I have attached my most successful file (which isn't very succesful as it wont accept face to wall or roof in the project file) and one end wont create form - I'm obviously doing something wrong but still can't work out what.

Message 20 of 20
aali_mi3

Check the attached fils,Hope that will help..

Imran Ali
BIM Designer
HBK.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report