Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Masking a Repeating Detail Component

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
TrevN
3820 Views, 20 Replies

Masking a Repeating Detail Component

Hi,

I've been trying to create a repeating detail component to try and replicate my AutoCAD line types. We have a lot of utilities line types, water, gas, elec etc that we need to re-create in Revit!

I can create the text in a detailed family template easily enough, however I want to mask the "text" with a background and cannot get it to work.

Is there a way I can add a masking background to my repeating detail?

Thanks

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
AJA14
in reply to: TrevN

Hi,

Not sure what you're trying to achieve but you can simply make your text have an opaque background in the type properties. Otherwise, I may have misunderstood.

By the way, there is a line family online that you can download and use. Just change the text in the instance properties and done.

Regards,

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 3 of 21
TrevN
in reply to: AJA14

It's not actually text, it's a repeating component.
Message 4 of 21
David_W_Koch

And what is in the repeating component?  Text or a Label?  If so, use a text or label type that has an opaque background, as Ali Al-Hammoud suggested.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 21
TrevN
in reply to: David_W_Koch

The repeating component is a AutoCAD import of some text. I have tried Revit text but that does not work.

I have followed a guide up to a point, but now that Revit does not allow you to create a region (hatch) with no pattern I cannot get my repeating pattern to have an opaque background.

I am using Metric Generic Model Pattern Based.rvt template.

Message 6 of 21
AJA14

Hi,

Try this.

Create a generic annotation family with a masking region inside. You may add some parameters to make changes in the project. But because this is an annotation family, it will rescale in the project. If you don't want that to happen, create another family using a detail item template and load your family into it.
You need to make sure you check the shared parameter in the family properties of the annotation before nesting it.

Regards,

Ali Al-Hammoud
Message 7 of 21
TrevN

How do you get it to see it as a Detail Item?

I try to add this to a Detail Repeat Component, but because it's in the Annotation Family I can't get to pick it.
Message 8 of 21
Alisder.Brown

TrevN

If i understand correct, this the type of thing you are looking for? Or along theese lines (See attached family)

It is a detail component with editable text, spacing, start/end offsets and backround border size.

Down side to this is you will need to manually change the size of the border if you have large words, or smaller/bigger text. (It also scales with the view scale so might need some manual manipulation if used in different views with various scales)

Hope this helps

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 9 of 21
AJA14

I don't think you followed.
1- Create an annotation family with a masking region and parameters.
2- Load it into project and use it or go to step 3 for a nonscalable family.
3- Make the family above shared.
4- Create another detail item family.
5- Load your annotation family into the detail item family.
6- Load your detail family into the project and use it.

Regards,

Ali Al-Hammoud
Message 10 of 21
damo3

AJA14, the family you speak of that can be downloaded online, I think I have that and i just posted a problem I am experiencing with it, perhaps you know? The problem is, the text has opaque background which is supposed to conceal the line behind it, which in Revit, it does. But when printed to PDF... the line can be seen a strikes through the text. Know why by chance? 

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find posts have solved your problem, please don't forget to mark them as 'SOLVED' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Message 11 of 21
damo3
in reply to: damo3

ah nevermind, just worked it out. The nested text needs to be changed to 'shared'. effects size, but thats ok. 

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find posts have solved your problem, please don't forget to mark them as 'SOLVED' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Message 12 of 21
TrevN

AJA14,

I can follow your 6 points and I can see that the Detail has come into my project however, when I try and make a repeating pattern the detail does not appear!

I have tried to create a new repeating pattern and replace the detail in an existing pattern that works but the new detail never appears?

Any ideas?

Message 13 of 21
AJA14

Hi Trev,

If possible, post the family and an image of what you're trying to achieve and I'll take a look at it when I have a chance.

Tip for another time (Try it): Nest your detail family into a line based family.
Create an array. Add some formulas. Now you have a line based family with a repeating component in accordance with your array, and you can keynote it.

Regards,

Ali Al-Hammoud
Message 14 of 21
TrevN

Attached.

All it should look like is:

--------S&T---------S&T---------S&T---------

Thanks for your help.

Message 15 of 21
Alisder.Brown

This?

You will need to change the size of the border using the instance parameters but it works how you want i think. (You may want to change the line type and text size) 

Annotate > Detail component > "family" 

Its a line based detail item, you can make any changes via the instance parameters

Hope this helps

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 16 of 21
TrevN
in reply to: Alisder.Brown

Brilliant, just what we need.

Thanks

Message 17 of 21
TrevN

alisder,

This does work great but I want to change the text from S&T to something else. Everytime I try it says there are errors.

I'm not sure how you created the array link to correct this?

Cheers

Message 18 of 21
Alisder.Brown
in reply to: damo3

Strange, it works fine for me... see attached.

Place the line in the project, select it, and change the instance property for "Sys Text" to whatever you want. It shoudl work, i tried it on a few machines and works on every one. 

When exactly, and what are the errors you are getting? What are you doing precicely?

Or are you trying to recreate the family yourself?

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 19 of 21
TrevN

Sorry should have made that a bit clearer!

Yes, works fine in a project but what I would like to do is create a new family and change the text so it doesn't come out as S&T everytime. 

When I try and change the sys text from S&T I get error messages and constraints.

Being new to revit and not quite seeing how you created the family in the first place I think I'm missing something!

Again thanks for the help.

Message 20 of 21
Alisder.Brown

Ah okay

So, when you are in the family, you want to change the parameter value for the "Sys Text". To do this, follow theese steps:

1. Inside the family, go to the "Create" or "Modify" tab in your ribbon
  2. On the very left hand side, click the "Family types" button family types.JPG
  3. Change the VALUE for "Sys Text (default)" to whatever you want it to be by default , Apply, OK then save.

I just ran through this process and works fine.

Hope this helps

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report