Revit Architecture

Mentor
MKEllis
Message 1 of 3 (162 Views)
Accepted Solution

Mask Regions with '0mm' dimension ?

162 Views, 2 Replies
12-29-2013 11:36 AM

I'm using a couple of masked regions to form symbol linework (so that it obscures background and shadows) in section.

In my screen family, I have a masked region that in theory could end up having a 0mm length - that obviously throws out errors.

The following screen grab shows the regions (at screen soffits) that are set to lock to the frame face and external wall face. Trouble is I have an instance parameter to allow the screen to fill the whole wall thickness (which also then toggles on architraves). This results in the 0mm. I have therefore done a slight 2mm overlap to avoid the issue, but this leaves a residual ovelap in the linework that looks ugly.

Setting the masked region to simply not display doesn't avoid the problem, Revit still 'sees' the errant 0mm.

Is there a way of having this masked region working in both options (ie when needed - locked to ref planes) and then not producing the error when the frame and wall are coplanar ?

screen_04.jpg

screen_03.jpg

Active Contributor
metisdesigns
Message 2 of 3 (126 Views)

Re: Mask Regions with '0mm' dimension ?

12-30-2013 09:23 AM in reply to: MKEllis
in situations where i run into the potential for 0 dims, i do one of 2 things:
a) rather than use 2 reference planes that could overlap, i dimension from one, and use a parameter formula and visibility that is more or less, if =0 make it 5 and not visible,
b) offset the line a stupidly tiny amount from the reference plane (assuming they can overlap, but can not cross) so that my linework gets a 1/256" wider, but no one will ever notice, and it won't mess up dimensioning.
Mentor
MKEllis
Message 3 of 3 (119 Views)

Re: Mask Regions with '0mm' dimension ?

12-30-2013 11:10 AM in reply to: metisdesigns

Thanks for the pointers!

Got it working now - used formulas as suggested to calculate an offset (and not locked to the frame face) - much cleaner result.

I now have the internal glazed screen with instance options to:

Center to wall

Flush to Extenal Face (with architraves added)

Frame full width of wall (with architraves added to both sides)

screens_05.jpg

Many thanks for your help,

Martin

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.