Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing the width of text parameter entries

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
IMCornish
2225 Views, 11 Replies

Managing the width of text parameter entries

Does anyone know if there is a way of managing the width (and start position) of a text parameter?

Scenario:

I have created a 'Title Sheet' stamp for entering the proposed materials that are intended for a building project.  This is used for a UK Planning Application where the required materials intended for use in a project need to be declared.  Having created a suitable stamp where the information infills are created from Project Information parameters I need occassionally to widen the column width to accomodate the amount of text so that it does not need to drop down to another line and be lost behind the text on the next line?

See the attached image below:

:ManagingTextWidth.png

On the second column 'Proposed' the word 'panels' which comes after 'weatherboard' is lost behind the lower line.

If I can lock each label to the vertical lines to their left (they are all centre (sorry center) formatted) and extend their width to the right, along with the column vertical dividing line, then the labels will fit.  Similarly I could increase the depth of each row.

any ideas? 

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: IMCornish

I understand that you are doing this as an annotation family, perhaps of the titleblock category since you are using shared parameters. This approach is not going to give you that flexibility that you are looking for. You could obtain that flexibility using a key schedule instead of an annotation family. You won't be able to use shared parameters, though, but at least all the text will be shown in each cell, and you could change the width of the columns.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 12
IMCornish
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo, you are correct in your assumption that I have used an annotation family of the title block category and therefore you say that sadly I won't be able to achieve what I am after this way. However you have given me some hope that I could use a Key (I assume you mean a 'Keynote') Schedule. If I am unable to use shared parameters how might I include the required information, unique to each project, in such a schedule?

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 4 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

I did not mean to write "Keynote Schedule" but actually "Key Schedule". You can't use shared parameters in a key schedule, but you can type anything you want in the cells, and at least the columns are flexible schedule, and the text inside will adjust to the width of the column.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 12
IMCornish

Thanks for that, sounds like a reasonable solution if I am able to format things nicely. I will investigate and report back.

As an addendum, I have looked at creating a Key Schedule and cannot see a way around having to choose a category and if I select a multi-catagory I am at a loss to select what fields I should choose as nothing seems appropriate.  Any Ideas?

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 6 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

View > Schedule > select any category (usyally one that you don't use) > pass the "Comments" parameter to the right; now you have 2 parameters, Key name and Comments. OK >  Then put the cursor inside one of the headers, and click on "New" (row) as many times as needed, then edit the headers, edit the title, enter the information, and finally place schedule on a sheet, and edit the width of the columns as needed.

Message 7 of 12
IMCornish

Yes that works reasonably well though has formating limitations and sadly it can only be placed on one sheet rather than a number, as I would have liked.  Result Herwith:

ManagingTextWidth 1.png

Certainly able to hold extensive text but not quite so adaptable in other ways.

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 8 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

Not true that it can be placed on one sheet only. It is a schedule, and schedules can be placed on multiple sheets. About the formatting, you can change the width of the columns, and there are other options for text and lines, in the Appearance tab of the properties of the schedule.

Message 9 of 12
IMCornish

My mistake, I thought that as a 'View' it could only be placed on one sheet. Thanks for telling me different, it is appreciated.
In regard to formatting, yes I am aware of most of the appearance formatting and unless you can tell me otherwise the only issue that I would want to correct would be the 'Keys' (Roof, Wall etc.) having a larger and bolder font than the text fields which I don't think can be achieved can it?
Thanks again for your help.
Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 10 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

It is possible, in Revit 2014. In the schedule view, select the header, and use the "Font" icon on the ribbon. The final result of the changes will be clearly visible on the sheet.

Message 11 of 12
IMCornish

Wow, that's much better, thanks for your help.
Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 12 of 12
tbrunetto

Thanks for this one!!!  Wish I had seen it back in 2014... haha

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report