Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing libraries between computers

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
autoMick
572 Views, 4 Replies

Managing libraries between computers

Hi, I have computer at work and another at home that I use to work on revit projects. I typically work on a project between the two locations, just transferring the rvt file on a USB stick. Just recently, I've come across issues in managing materials, and families where I've created new ones and they haven't transferred with the rvt file to the alternate location. What's best practice in managing materials, families, etc. between two locations?

thanks

- Mick

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

try these:

1. in Material Browser create your own library and seave it as .adsklib  . You can update it and save ,both with your project on a stick..
  2. in R > Options > Rendering >Additional Render Appearance Path - add a new paths (+)

The best way , in my oppinion , is to place the file in cloud (I use Dropbox) - and so you'll can keep the file in the same location , no matter you are at office or at home..... 

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 5

thanks for the suggestion - can something similar be done for families? I was thinking of having a directory 'my families', which was either centralised or copied with my projects. If a material or family is missing, will revit look in the parent directory that the rvt file is stored in?
Message 4 of 5

1. if in Options you add Places:

Image 02.png

2. then , when : Open - you will have on the left side shortcuts to your selected Places. Click on a shortcut and the location will open imediately:

Image 03.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 5

thanks - I think that will work for me
Regards
- Mick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report