Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

make non-hosted family hosted

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
HVAC-Novice
3539 Views, 6 Replies

make non-hosted family hosted

I know how to convert a wall or ceiling based family to a face based family.

but I have a family that is not hosted (s. screenshot). And for that one the above trick doens't create a face-based family.

how can i get a face based family (I would settle for making it wall based, since I can convert that one to face-based)

My example is a hose reel, and all the families I found seem non-hosted. Ideally I don't re-create a family.

(i already sent A-desk my feedback on wanting this an easy feature)

Revit version: R2024.2
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Nest the family into a face-based template.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 7

thanks for the reply. I noticed there is no face-hosted plumbing template, so i use a generic face hosted model and mad that into a plumbing family. but for some reason the hose reel (either nesting, or copy/paste) was 90°F off and the family stuck into the room. There wasn't away to turn it.

I ended up doing the same with a wall-hosted plumbing fixture and that works (assuming I always attach a hose reel to a wall).

Revit version: R2024.2
Message 4 of 7
MuirEng
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

Hello, this is an old conversation but we have a non hosted family that we'd like to make face based so it is of interest to us. Our family has many types each with assigned parameters so we hope not to recreate those. I don't see how this solution preserves family types or parameters. It looks like this is useful for converting geometry from non hosted to face but in our case the geometric is very simple (a box). 

If anyone has advice thank you in advance. 

Brian Muir, P.Eng, Muir Engineering
Dedicated Sub Forum For Electrical
Thanks!
Message 5 of 7
ToanDN
in reply to: MuirEng

Several ways:

- You can change it to work plane based by ticking Work plane box and unticking Always vertical box in the family's category properties.  When you place it in the project you can choose place on a face or a work plane, or a level.

- Make the family shared and nest it in a face based family.

Message 6 of 7
MuirEng
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi

This particular family is normally hosted on a wall (but we don't want it wall hosted, we are working with linked revit files). Making it shared and hosting it in a face based family seems like a decent idea but but not as clean an outcome as I was hoping for. I might just have our intern rebuild it.

thanks for coming back to me on the topic!

Brian Muir, P.Eng, Muir Engineering
Dedicated Sub Forum For Electrical
Thanks!
Message 7 of 7

Facing this issue aswell. This is inconvenient to say the least.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report