Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking views / view templates

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Keith_Wilkinson
1499 Views, 2 Replies

Locking views / view templates

Good morning. 

Hopefully a nice simple question although the answer I think I might get probably won't be the one I want but hopefully I'm missing something obvious.

We have a Revit file.  It's quite well advanced and we are currently pulling construction information from it.  We have views set up for different packages and typically these have specific view templates assigned to them.  So far so good.

Now, we recently received a set of furniture layouts in DWG format which have been linked into the main Revit file for checking.  This works fine up to a point.  The problem I have is that because this is a new linked file it isn't controlled by the view templates set up on the other views and so it appears there automatically.

So the question is, is there a simple way to set up the views so that any new linked files are off by default? 

Also, if you have a view where a particular element has been isoloated and new geometry is created it shows up in the isolated view - is there a way around this?  I can appreciate that this is slightly more contentious than the previous question (the 'why would you not want to see newly created geometry' type thing... ) but it would be handy in certain circumstances.

Cheers for any suggestions.

K.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

When you link a CAD file, there is a toggle at the lower left of the Link CAD Formats dialog that allows you to limit the display of the CAD file to the current view only.  If you only want to see the linked CAD file in the current view, that may be acceptable.

If you need to see the linked CAD file in more than just the current view, and you are working in a Workshared Revit project, you could create a Workset just for the CAD linked file, and uncheck the Visible in all views toggle for that Workset.  You would then have to manually turn the Workset on in the view(s) where you want to see the linked CAD file.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 3

Two great answers - thanks.  That will certainly help to move things in the right direction.

Cheers

K.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report