Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locating the Project Base Point in Revit

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
ongbl
10072 Views, 6 Replies

Locating the Project Base Point in Revit

Is there an easy way to "bookmark" the Project Base Point or Master Origin in Revit? It's absolutely important as this is the best way to coordinate models and so on. With the complexity and size of architectural designs, it will be good if we can bookmark it and go to it with a keyboard shortcut.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rosskirby
in reply to: ongbl

I'm sorry, I don't think I'm following you.  Could you explain why you need a key command shortcut (I'm assuming this is what you mean by "bookmark") for the project basepoint?

Is there a reason you can't just turn on its visibility in a plan view and go from there?  What exactly is it that you're trying to do?

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 7
SteveKStafford

Each plan view can show the icon's for Project Base Point and Survey Point. The project file's "mathematical origin" is usually at the same location you see those icons, in stock templates. If you or someone moves the icons (unclipped) away from their original location you can right click on the Project Base Point and choose Move to Startup Location to return it to the project file's origin. You can also import a DWG with some linework (an "X" perhaps) at the origin, import it Auto - Origin to Origin. That will identify where the origin is in you project.

You can set aside one floor plan view that just shows one or both of them (Project Base Point and Survey Point) for the sake of "bookmarking" as you put it. As least you can return to this view and always seem them, as long as you leave them "on", via Visibility/Graphics > Site > Sub-categories: Project Base Point and Survey Point.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 4 of 7
ongbl
in reply to: SteveKStafford

Ummm. What I am hoping for is, yes, a key command shortcut that will take me to the basepoint and highlight it. What happened was that I loaded a Google map image for a siteplan and scaled it. When I did, the image relocated to another part of the screen. It was only much later that I realized that where I thought was the basepoint would be (within my siteplan) is not where it actually is (away to the left and outside the site completely). I thought that in setting up my drawing, it will be quite easy to lose sight of the basepoint. As it is recommended that we link files origin-to-origin, doesn't this mean making sure our files have the same basepoint reference?

I saw some posts where users were moving their designs around to reference to the basepoint. So, wouldn't it make sense to be able to return to the basepoint easily so that we can make sure our designs are correctly aligned with one another?\

Hope this helps...
Message 5 of 7
ongbl
in reply to: rosskirby

I may not be able to find it even if I turn on its visibility, on account of there being many lines and stuff on the screen and perhaps it's actually off the screen. Would be nice if with a key command, my screen is refocused with the basepoint in the middle and highlighted. Then I can zoom out, if necessary, and see where I am.
Message 6 of 7
SteveKStafford

The Project Base Point (PBP), nor is the Survey Point (SP) isn't a command, they are icons and a feature that can be turned on and off through Visibility/Graphics. If the API can see the PBP (and/or SP) then it would be possible to create an app that could zoom to the PBP. On the other hand Revit does not alter the size of PBP (or SP) on screen so no matter how far in or out you zoom it should always become visible once you use Zoom to Fit.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 7 of 7
ongbl
in reply to: SteveKStafford

Unless it is hidden beneath a whole lot of lines.... But, that's the best one can do at the moment, I guess.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report