Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load a 2x4 Component

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
PhilvK
5815 Views, 5 Replies

Load a 2x4 Component

I have a need to load just a 2x4 into my project. I went to Load Family > Structural Framing > Wood and opened Dimension Lumber.rfa.  I then checked “2x4” under “Type” and hit OK. I get the message shown below. What am I doing wrong please?Load 2x4.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
chrisplyler
in reply to: PhilvK

You obviously tried to Load Family after you activated the Component tool on the Architectural tab.

Instead, use the Beam tool or Column tool or Brace tool under the Structure tab and Load Family from there.

Or, to load any family at any time, do it from the Insert tab.

Message 3 of 6
PhilvK
in reply to: chrisplyler

That is exactly what I did initially, and now (thanks to you) have the family loaded. However, the 2x4 is coming in as a beam, whereas I need it vertically and flat as if it was a sill. I tried loading it in as a column, but got the same error message. I’ll continue to play around and hopefully will stumble upon the solution, but in the meantime, if you know, I could sure use your suggestion.

Message 4 of 6
PhilvK

I found the cross section rotation to get it "flat", but still am looking how to get it vertical.

Message 5 of 6
PhilvK

Found it! Loaded it as a structural column. All solved. Thank you!

Message 6 of 6
chrisplyler

You're welcome.

Structural column families will come in vertical.

Structural framing families will come in horizontal. Or actually they can be place on angles if you place them in elevation view and set your workplane appropriately.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report