Distinguished Contributor
SMILES
Message 1 of 2 (182 Views)
Accepted Solution

Linking Files!

182 Views, 1 Replies
12-11-2012 10:47 AM

Quick question about linkning files...

I have a small project that myself and one other person will be working on.  I am the architectural dept. and she is the structural dept.  I have a created a central model and will create a structural file to link to the central model for all structural work to be done in.  Do I need to create an archtiectural file to link to the central model to do my work in?    

Why would I not just keep working in the central model?

Any ideas or comments are much appreciated- Thank you,

Steve Miles

You should create a Workset enabled Project for yourself--place the Central file on your Server, open it on your local machine and Create New Local, then Synch to Central.

Then, Link the Structural model using Shared Coordinates. Make sure you set those up in your Arch. model, establishing the Project Location, Project Base Point and Survey Point. Then Publish Coordinates.

Hope this helps.

*Expert Elite*
ccollins
Message 2 of 2 (178 Views)

Re: Linking Files!

12-11-2012 10:54 AM in reply to: SMILES

You should create a Workset enabled Project for yourself--place the Central file on your Server, open it on your local machine and Create New Local, then Synch to Central.

Then, Link the Structural model using Shared Coordinates. Make sure you set those up in your Arch. model, establishing the Project Location, Project Base Point and Survey Point. Then Publish Coordinates.

Hope this helps.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.