Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking Architects and Engineers models together - best way

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Kevin.Bell
969 Views, 6 Replies

Linking Architects and Engineers models together - best way

Hi,

I would appreciate some advice on linking together an Engineers model to an Architects and the user of the Copy/Monitor Tool.

I have produced the Architects model and the engineer has sent me his model.

The Engineer obviously gone into much greater detail on some items, the Ground Floor tab, for instance he shows the edges and downstands correctly, whereas I only show this as a flat slab.

The engineers ground slab comprises of about 30 objects which are slabs, downstands, edges etc. Where as mine is one object.

My questions are:

1. Should I delete my floor slab and use the engineers – is there any benefit to keeping mine even though it’s not as accurate as the engineers?

2.  Should I just link the engineers model to mine so that I can see his floor slab (and everything else) or should I copy his floor slab into my project (using the copy monitor tool). Whats the benefit of actually copying his model information into my model – why not just link it? (Obviously I don’t intend to work on his parts of the model in any way, I just need to see them in my model.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ryan.duell
in reply to: Kevin.Bell

I have included a few resources below:

1.  Regarding Copy/Monitoring slabs, keep in mind shape edited slabs will appear as flat.  So there would be not advantage here to copy/monitor their slab.  Some additional information is included below:

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/02/behavior-to-be-aware-of-when-copymonitoring.html

2.  You could consider TAB-selecting and copy & pasting the floor slab if it is beneficial to you.  Otherwise if you are simply hosting elements to the floor a flat slab may be more than acceptable.  Consider the scale you will be displaying the information or the type of sections you may be cutting through this space to see if it is beneficial to use the more detailed floor or if a flat floor will suffice.

Resources:

Multi-Discipline Coordination [Revit Users Guide]

http://docs.autodesk.com/RVTMPJ/2010/ENU/Revit%20MEP%202010%20Users%20Guide/RME/index.html?url=WSfac...

Multi-Disciplinary Collaboration in Revit

http://www.aecbytes.com/tipsandtricks/2007/issue20-revit.html

Coordination – Linking – Copy / Monitor

http://revitfix.blogspot.com/2009/05/coordination-linking-copy-monitor.html

Copy/Monitor – Walls

http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2008/09/copymonitor-walls.html

I hope this information is helpful.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 7
Kevin.Bell

Thats for that.

So what would you recommend I do in relation to the floor slabs.

Do people permanently keep the Structural engineers model linked to the architects? Surely so, otherwise you would not see all of the columns, beams etc in the architects model - but if I just link the two models together I will end up with two floor slabs, my not so accurate one and the engineers accurate one.

Cheers.

Message 4 of 7
ryan.duell

If the Structural Engineer has accurately modeled the floor slabs [along with the columns, beams, etc] you could utilize those instead of your floor slabs.  You could simply hide the architectural slabs from the model views or remove them; whatever better fits the project scope.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 5 of 7
Kevin.Bell
in reply to: ryan.duell

So if I remove them from my model then does it matter that the Architectural model will not have any floors? Does it affect the architectural model in any way not having floors??

Obviously from now on I will have the engineers model linked in and so his floors will be visible. Is there any advantage to copying his floors into my model? (i.e. with the copy monitor tool)

One other question about the copy monitor tool - if I copy his floor slab into my model and then reference his model into mine wont I end up with two floor slabs in my model?

Thanks for your reply and sorry for all the questions!

Message 6 of 7
ryan.duell

One of the potential issues you would see if the architectural model does not have any floor elements is that if you have walls, for example, you will be unable to attach them to the underside of the floor element.  You cannot attach the top/base of a wall to the floor in the linked model .  You cannot also join geometry between the two.

Another approach, instead of using copy monitor would be to TAB select the floor [from the structural link] and copy & pasting to the same place in the host project.  The advantage to using this approach, is that the shape-edited floor will retain the modifications, versus the simplified version you would get if you used copy/monitor.  Also you could then attach elements as needed or use the join geometry tool for example.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 7 of 7
Kevin.Bell

OK, thanks for your response.

One last question - I think Copy/Monitor is the way to go. The only issue is that I can see by copy monitoring (copy) the engineers floors into my model is that the model will have two floors the orignial engineers linked model floors and the copy in my model.

Is it a problem with having two objects exactly the same overlaying each other?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report