Revit Architecture

Revit Architecture

gulinskas
Message 1 of 7 (2,385 Views)

Linked DWG files don't appear in Managed Links dialog

2385 Views, 6 Replies
05-06-2011 03:35 PM

I have imported three drawings into my Revit model.  Two were deleted from the views and one is still visible.  I can see them listed on the visibility/graphics - imported categories menu for the plans views, but every time I go to the manage links dialogue box for CAD Formats - it is blank and doesn't show any linked dwg files.  How do I delete the links fo my linked files if they are not showing up in the manage links menu?

Employee
ryan.duell
Message 2 of 7 (2,349 Views)

Re: Linked DWG files don't appear in Managed Links dialog

05-10-2011 06:02 AM in reply to: gulinskas

If you imported the CAD file into the project, it will not appear under Manage Links.  The only files which should appear under this dialog are files that were inserted by Insert > Link CAD.

If you inserted a CAD file by Insert > Import CAD, it will reside in the project or view only [If you check “Current View Only” it will only reside in the view you imported it into].

You would need to manually select the imported CAD file, and delete it from the view.  This will also remove it from Visibility/Graphic Overrides > Imported Categories once the last instance is deleted.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Autodesk, Inc.

Revit Clinic
@revitclinic

GURUFUN
Message 3 of 7 (2,240 Views)

01-31-2012 11:51 PM in reply to: ryan.duell

Clarifying explanation on the issue, thank you for that Ryan.

But in my case the problem is this: When you are dealing with a file that multiple users work on simultaneously in Worksharing, you may not determine in which exact view there is a CAD import placed with the "Current View Only" option checked. For instance, I know there is an Imported CAD file in my Template, but I don't know where it is located. Because it was imported there with the "Current View Only" option. Please also consider I am talking about a very large scale building project with many floor levels and other kind of views.

I would appreciate any further suggestions on this issue. But I can't really stop wondering why it is not possible to manage the imported files in a Revit model similar to manage links dialogue? After all, It is definitely necessary to have a tool to locate and remove them without having the exact knowledge of who imported them to which exact view.

Active Contributor
sagar.londonites
Message 4 of 7 (2,228 Views)

02-01-2012 08:44 PM in reply to: gulinskas

It is correct that Revit does not provide an option to locate or delete the imported CAD files. Hopefully this will change in upcoming releases.

But there is a free extension tool by www.revittools.com which you can use.

- Sagar
GURUFUN
Message 5 of 7 (2,182 Views)

02-22-2012 11:13 PM in reply to: sagar.londonites

It seems that revittools can handle Imported CAD files by deleting them. It should be noticed that it detects several instances for a single file. It also detects a couple of extra files which you did not import in your model.

However the issue of locating these files still remains. I believe this is a weak point worth improving in Revit's next release, for the pure sake of practicality. There is a similar issue with the Current View only CAD Links: It could be very practical to be able to see in which exact view (or views, if they are copied) these files are linked, so that these files could easily be located by anyone.

Ammwalma
Message 6 of 7 (1,925 Views)

08-15-2012 08:13 PM in reply to: gulinskas
cfboyd
Message 7 of 7 (1,349 Views)

04-16-2013 01:45 PM in reply to: ryan.duell

Is there any way to reload a dwg that was imported instead of linked since it doesnt show up in the manage links box?

I'd rather not have to delete and reinsert it if possible, since I'd have to redo its visibility in different views / sheets.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.