Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linked DWG files don't appear in Managed Links dialog

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
gulinskas
10598 Views, 14 Replies

Linked DWG files don't appear in Managed Links dialog

I have imported three drawings into my Revit model.  Two were deleted from the views and one is still visible.  I can see them listed on the visibility/graphics - imported categories menu for the plans views, but every time I go to the manage links dialogue box for CAD Formats - it is blank and doesn't show any linked dwg files.  How do I delete the links fo my linked files if they are not showing up in the manage links menu?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
ryan.duell
in reply to: gulinskas

If you imported the CAD file into the project, it will not appear under Manage Links.  The only files which should appear under this dialog are files that were inserted by Insert > Link CAD.

If you inserted a CAD file by Insert > Import CAD, it will reside in the project or view only [If you check “Current View Only” it will only reside in the view you imported it into].

You would need to manually select the imported CAD file, and delete it from the view.  This will also remove it from Visibility/Graphic Overrides > Imported Categories once the last instance is deleted.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 15
GURUFUN
in reply to: ryan.duell

Clarifying explanation on the issue, thank you for that Ryan.

But in my case the problem is this: When you are dealing with a file that multiple users work on simultaneously in Worksharing, you may not determine in which exact view there is a CAD import placed with the "Current View Only" option checked. For instance, I know there is an Imported CAD file in my Template, but I don't know where it is located. Because it was imported there with the "Current View Only" option. Please also consider I am talking about a very large scale building project with many floor levels and other kind of views.

I would appreciate any further suggestions on this issue. But I can't really stop wondering why it is not possible to manage the imported files in a Revit model similar to manage links dialogue? After all, It is definitely necessary to have a tool to locate and remove them without having the exact knowledge of who imported them to which exact view.

Message 4 of 15

It is correct that Revit does not provide an option to locate or delete the imported CAD files. Hopefully this will change in upcoming releases.

But there is a free extension tool by www.revittools.com which you can use.

- Sagar
Message 5 of 15
GURUFUN
in reply to: sagar.londonites

It seems that revittools can handle Imported CAD files by deleting them. It should be noticed that it detects several instances for a single file. It also detects a couple of extra files which you did not import in your model.

However the issue of locating these files still remains. I believe this is a weak point worth improving in Revit's next release, for the pure sake of practicality. There is a similar issue with the Current View only CAD Links: It could be very practical to be able to see in which exact view (or views, if they are copied) these files are linked, so that these files could easily be located by anyone.

Message 6 of 15
Ammwalma
Message 7 of 15
cfboyd
in reply to: ryan.duell

Is there any way to reload a dwg that was imported instead of linked since it doesnt show up in the manage links box?

I'd rather not have to delete and reinsert it if possible, since I'd have to redo its visibility in different views / sheets.

Message 8 of 15
walter.torres

Hi, I had the same issue, and I went to Manage Tab > Purge Unused and then I selected Import Symbol and that was the place where they were. 

Message 9 of 15

I'm also losing this battle against imported dwgs Smiley Sad Sagar's link to revittools doesn't seem to work anymore & I'm on Revit 2018 so can't use the other suggested addin either...

Is there really no way we can locate these rogue dwgs quickly?

Message 10 of 15
RobDraw
in reply to: lisa.coval.bim

Ask the person who inserted it.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 11 of 15

Lisa, there's no way to find these dwgs without a Revit addin I'm afraid.

For Revit 2018, I've used Dwg Explorer to good results. It lists all linked and imported cad files in a report and lets you jump to views to see each one quickly in the model with one click. If the dwg is not visible anywhere, it will say so and why. It also allows deleting dwg types directly from VG if you so wish.

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=3030640795772631843&appLang=en&os=Win64

Have a try or look for a similar app at https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Home/Index

Message 12 of 15
Viveka_CD
in reply to: lisa.coval.bim

Hi @lisa.coval.bim

Check your "Manage links" under the "Insert", check if the status is "Loaded" or not.
2. Check "Show crop region" and "Crop view", the dwg file may be outside the crop region.
3. Check the settings in VG after adjusting the crop region.

4. Check  your View Range.

5."Temporary hide/isolate", reset it.
6. if its not visible even then click on "Reveal Hidden Elements", it should show the dwg file if its loaded correctly.

7.Go to your 3D view. If you see the dwg, select it and move it up by 100 mm. Sometimes a linked file doesn't appear even if it is at the correct level.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.

Message 13 of 15
Viveka_CD
in reply to: Viveka_CD

Hi @lisa.coval.bim

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on this issue?

If you are interested in the the tools which @sagar.londonites mentioned check this links HERE  (It has tools upto the Revit 2013 version)

Please mark any posts on this page that help with "Accept as Solution" and thanks!

Message 14 of 15
walter.torres
in reply to: Viveka_CD

Hi to everyone, the main issue was that one user couldn't delete a DWG because it didn't appear in the Link Files Manager, by that time I told him that one way to get rid of them was to go to Purge Unused Tool and there one can see the imported CADS and therefore the possibility to delete them. By this moment don't know if he used this workaround. Greetings to all of you!

Message 15 of 15
Viveka_CD
in reply to: walter.torres

Hi @walter.torres

Greetings to you too! 

Keep us posted on the progress and let us know if this issue is resolved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report