Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link two different revit models to one excel spreadsheet

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
mike_melshimber
217 Views, 2 Replies

Link two different revit models to one excel spreadsheet

Hiya

I have two revit models, the first is a 'theoretical' model which contains the Client Brief (ie room names and briefed area) and the second is the actual building design. We need a way to check that the two are matching so we want to link the room schedule from both models to a single excel spreadsheet.

Will the DbLink programme from Autodesk do the trick or is there a more appropriate alternative?

Thanks

Mike

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
GlynnisVP
in reply to: mike_melshimber

Hi Mike,

I think the answer depends somewhat upon how you intend to 'compare' the two.  For example, are the rooms located in the same relative positions within each file (spatially compare) or are you using unique numbering to compare them?  If neither is true then you would most likely be needing to heavily massage the data in order to do your comparison - perhaps organize by level, then department and assess the subtotals of each as a way of comparing, for example.

Typically when we work with customers on comparing a Target vs Actual, the rooms (or area objects) are in the same file and then we use a Calculated Parameter and Conditional Formatting to display the variance via a Schedule ( Example: http://youtu.be/Z-ODf2D--HU?list=PLrPZHp9xQEYpZ4MK-GMPG25edDSnD5dRb) though I can imagine being able to compare across files assuming the numbering conventions were identical (number=database key) or possibly if the rooms were in the same location (using the coordinates as a key).  

dBLink works with Access, not with Excel.  If you know how to use Access and if you are comparing the data via a key such as a unique room number, for example, I think it should be possible. If there's no straightforward data key, you may have to post-process the data, in which case additional Excel and/or Access skills might be needed.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Glynnis Patterson, Architect

www.ideatesoftware.com/ideatebimlink

Message 3 of 3

If I understand your problem correctly, this is how I would solve it. I would use some plugin with built-in excel spreadsheet (I use Bim Query-CGS Revit tools), select parameters and export it to excel file. The would join two excel files in excel and compare them.

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report