Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link CAD in Revit 2014

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
fadi.aboona
1925 Views, 7 Replies

Link CAD in Revit 2014

Hi all,

I'm new to Revit but i'm struggling with a linked DGN file. When i link the file into Revit, the drawing won't be straight, instead would rotate clockwise about 45 degree. After i rotate the drawing back in position, Revit complains about slightly off axis when i do my grid lines or trace over the drawing?

What i'm missing?

Thank you....

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ennujozlagam
in reply to: fadi.aboona

hi, im not familiar with mircostation dgn file and havent try yet linked to revit, but in autocad what you see in autocad, what you get in revit once you link the files. it shouldnt happenned that way?

try to start a fresh file and link again. please see attached. hope it helps.

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 8
fadi.aboona
in reply to: ennujozlagam

@ennujozlagam wrote:

hi, im not familiar with mircostation dgn file and havent try yet linked to revit, but in autocad what you see in autocad, what you get in revit once you link the files. it shouldnt happenned that way?

Thank you for your reply.

I tried many times with DGN and DWG but same problem. I played with the settings you attached but no help!

I will attach a photo of the issue just so you can see what i'm dealing with....

Message 4 of 8
fadi.aboona

@fadi.aboona wrote:

@ennujozlagam wrote:

I tried many times with DGN and DWG but same problem. I played with the settings you attached but no help!

I will attach a photo of the issue just so you can see what i'm dealing with....

Please see attachments....

I converted DGN -> DWG and linked to revit, when i did that i received the message showing on attachment "Revit Message.PNG"!!

Thanks.

Message 5 of 8
fadi.aboona

@fadi.aboona wrote:

@fadi.aboona wrote:

@ennujozlagam wrote:

Please see attachments....

I converted DGN -> DWG and linked to revit, when i did that i received the message showing on attachment "Revit Message.PNG"!!

Thanks.

Update with regards to the attached Revit message when linking CAD. Problem solved, all i had to do is open the dwg in autocad, clean it up and use WBLCOK.

I still need help with CAD not showing straight as per attached image.

Message 6 of 8
ennujozlagam

hi try this,

xtents Greater than 20 Miles

This message appears when you import a DWG file that has geometry that makes the total extents of the file larger than 20 (33 km)miles horizontally or vertically.

That message is different from this message.

The second message occurs when all the geometry in the file is farther away from the origin than Revit wants it to be, but the extent of geometry is not large enough to trigger the first warning. What that magical distance or number is, who knows. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to pin that down. The closest I've come is that when I have some geometry that is between 43,500 and 50,000 feet away from the origin of the DWG file Revit will complain. The problem with pinning it down is that as soon as I think I've got it, I change it a little and then Revit doesn't complain about importing the file. Suffice it to say that if all the geometry is pretty far away from the origin, there is a pretty good chance that you'll see that message. It isn't as far away as the first error message though (20 miles), it's more like 8ish miles.

If a file is too large to import when you've selected the correct units you can technically circumvent it by importing with different units. For example if Inches are too big, try Feet. The file will like import. Then you can reset the Units of the file and reset the scale value to 1. The file will be the correct size again. It won't prevent the graphical issues that really large DWG import can cause though. Your mileage may vary.

Another technique that has worked is to link the big file into another file as an Attached overlay. Then import the file that hosts the big one. Revit doesn't look at the Xref and doesn't complain.

pls note can you attach your autocad file just a building outline and grid, dimension so i can check?

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 7 of 8
fadi.aboona
in reply to: ennujozlagam

Can you please private message me your email address so i can email you the CAD file.

Message 8 of 8
ennujozlagam

thanks, I managed to help you.

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!!!!!....shalom……….

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report