Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linework tool in plan views

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
3142 Views, 15 Replies

Linework tool in plan views

Often we need to change the lineweight for our plans & sections to read clearly, despite the wall being cut in view.  How should we best go about changing the linework of only a portion of the wall? For interior partition walls I have no problem splitting the walls where needed, but this isn't the case for exterior walls as shown here.

Can someone please tell me the method for doing this other than splitting the exterior wall or changing it to a thinner line and using detailing lines to draft in the lineweight.

The issue lies with the inside edge of the exterior wall, currently shown running through the column as seen below.

Linework Ex.JPG

Thanks,

Kevin

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
alan.quinn
in reply to: Anonymous

Try the following:

1. What happens if you use the Join tool?

2. If the column is not set into the wall adjust your drawing.

3. If the column is set into the wall what happens if you change your wall type at the column, after all it should be a different type (I'm assuming).

Quick options:

a. Linework tool.

b. Filler Region in your exploded views. The rest can remain and (hopefully) no one will notice if the scale is small enough).

Hope this helps and thanks for posting.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: alan.quinn

Thank you for your replay Alan Quinn. What your proposing seems to be a workaround, however - my firm and I are not looking for that. What is the point of having an 'intelligent model' if I then have to go and draft filled regions over top of the plan to make it represent itself properly? Those regions will not update and automatically move when I adjust the walls/columns.

What I am seeking/asking about is the ability to change the lineweight of part of a wall, such as at the intersection with a structural steel column, or so that the plumbing chase walls are not reading as dark in the chase.

Regarding your solutions:

1. Join has no bearing on the issue, that creates a 'common edge' at the joint between the two walls which I can control separately - but this does not help me when I am trying to manipulate the linework of a portion of one wall.

2. The column is not a part of the wall, it is steel vs the cavity wall it is nearby.

3. Yes, but how would changing my wall type help the issue of linework?

Quick Options:

a. Linework Tool - this is the issue, it only allows for control of the entire length of the wall, not only sections between walls/columns for example.

b. Filled regions are a band-aid that will only lead to doing double the work. As the plan is changed (and it often is) those regions will have to be moved/adjusted/deleted/etc. Using CAD would be faster than this option, not a point I would like to concede to those anti-Revit CAD supporters.

Every architect/engineer is required to output plans of some kind, there must be a smarter way to set up the linework of the plan so that it represents the walls correctly.

I will continue my inquiry with Autodesk, in the meantime I look forward to your feedback on the issue.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin C. Malawski, LEED AP
VSBA, LLC
4236 Main Street, Philadelphia, PA 19127
tel: (215) 487-0400 fax: (215) 487-2520
www.vsba.com
Message 4 of 16
helsinki_dave

Hi Kevin,

I'm a little confused by the detail that you are showing - which may also be why you found Alan's response unhelpful. The symbol used to show the wall is for a cavity wall - studs. insulation etc aren't shown in any detail. It's symbolic. Then the symbol used to show the column is detailed - down to the fillets.The symbol used to show the window is indicative, there no indication of clearances, flashing etc.

So I'm wondering if perhaps too much is trying to be achieved here - as for myself - it is clear that this is not a detail to be built from. This one can be figured out on site. So having a fat line passing through the steel, as opposed to a thin line passing through the steel - neither of which is a constructible detail - maybe, perhaps - isn't a big deal? Apologies if I have not understood.

Best regards,
David

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: helsinki_dave

Terribly sorry for any confusion in the image, I will be happy to provide another one below which I hope is more helpful.

Your comment is primarily regarding the construction of the wall. The flashing, spacing, etc details which you mentioned are information for a callout drawing, what I have clipped here for you is a small section of a plan drawing, 1/8" scale. Brick returns and construction details are less of a concern for this early DD plan -- clarity of the plan itself, particularly graphical clarity, is what I am trying to achieve.

Whether the column is shown as course or fine, the shape is still the same for steel WF, just one line or 2. Cavity walls are always put together on site, the drawings only specify the width of the layers, how to start the coursing, and any special rowlocks etc. 

I use the built in linework tool to control the linework for small furring walls, such as the one used around the column in the red circle below. Because its a small furring wall, if I leave it cut in plan, it will show up as two thick cut lines that are very close to each other -- making them read as one very thick line, thicker than other more important walls, such as the exterior wall. I can change the interior side of this wall to a thin line, leaving the outside line to show thick, representing the wall clearly.

If I try to change the lineweight of the interior side of the exterior cavity wall, it will change that line along the whole wall length-- shown by the blue arrows. Because that exterior wall runs the entire length of the building, all of the lines called out by blue arrows will change to that same lineweight. I would like to change just the portion of the wall-line in the red circle to a thinner lineweight, not the entire interior side of the wall that it is a part of (blue arrows). The green circle correctly shows a wall joint guided by the template.

Diagram.JPG

I hope this is more clear. Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Kevin

Message 6 of 16
rosskirby

Hi Kevin.

I see what you're trying to do, and no, there isn't a way to make the linework tool control only a segment of that line.  There are a couple of solutions that might work for you, depending on what your final detailing is meant to show and your desired graphical outcome.

First, you could try using architectural columns for the bump-outs at the structural columns.  Architectural columns will auto-join with the adjacent wall and "inherit" their material properties (i.e. gyp on stud).  This would get rid of the heavy line within the cavity, but it takes a little playing with to get it exactly how you want it.

Second, you could do what I do, and model the exterior wall segment at that point as a different wall type (i.e. one that doesn't have gyp on the interior face), and then override the linework.

Third, if you don't want to do option 2, you could just split the wall  into segments on either side of the bump out, then you've got 3 end-to-end segments, but you can override the linework of each segment individually.

Hope that helps.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: rosskirby

I'm not sure if this issue has been resolved or not but you do have the ability to adjust the extents of the linework tool. See attachment. If your lines model element is on in your visibility graphics, when you select the linework tool and select the side of the wall you need to alter, a grip will appear on each end of that line. Those can each be pulled to the extent that you require. This also allows you to add multiple different linework types to one line by doing something like this. This should solve your issue.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

Sorry here is the clip
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

Gaslanidis,

Thank you for your reply, however, the situation you are describing is only possible when the line is in elevation, i.e. not being cut by the plan. For plans that cut through walls, there is no way to change part of the wall's lineweight.

Considering lineweight is extremely important for plans, this is a major nuisance for us.

Kevin C. Malawski, LEED AP
Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

I have to disagree, most of our linework changes such as this are done in the plan view. I've succeeded in doing this on elements that are plan cuts through and on elements that are not cut through. The screenshot that i was unable to upload is a shot of an example on a foundation plan.
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

I have just revisited the issue, trying again to adjust the linework, but it is not possible. I am only able to get a set of 'grips' when the element is not cut by the view - i.e. wall bases, low walls, or other elements that do not intersect the plane. If you could paste an image showing those grips or maybe a process of how you get them I would be very grateful.

If we were able to do this initially, I would not have posted up the problem here though. I think its the ideal solution, but at least in RVT 2014 I cannot do what you are saying.

Thanks,
Kevin
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

Ok, It seems that that might be the case, if an element is being cut by the plan then it will not give you the grips. But I will be looking more into this cause if this is the case then there has to be a good reason as to why it differentiates that way. Also i've been trying to upload a screenshot but i have not been able to.
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

OK, well at leave we've come to the same conclusion. It would seem to be an easy fix, considering the coding for the linework grips already exists in elevation.

However, I have been waiting for a long time to see this fixed and it has not yet been done. Good luck with your investigation Gaslandis, if you are able to find a solution please post it here for everyone to see.

Thanks,
Kevin
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

Thank you gaslanidis for your detailed reply to this question back in 2014. I am attempting to implement your solution to override the lineweight for only part of a wall's line.  I have line model elements visibile in VG; however, when I select the wall face with the linework tool, no grips appear. I am using Revit 2016. Is there another setting I need to adjust to make grips appear?

Thank you,

Jan Lepicovsky

AIA, LEED AP

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

Jan, It seems that you could be correct. It have been awhile since I posted a reply to your issue and so I had to familiarize myself with the problem again. I'm not sure why I was sure that that linework tool would work on objects cut in plan. I'm also not sure as to your object styles settings in your models. I know that revit provides many ways to adjust the visibility of an object. If you would like, feel free to send me a screen shot of your object styles in your model to see what everything is set at. I would love to get my hands on an example of this issue it at all possible so I can play with it, I'm pretty sure I can get that fixed for you. I apologize I didn't respond to the other posts. I don't think I was notified that there were responses to my post. Let me know.
Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

There is an amazing command tool in Revit called "Join Geometry". Give it a try! Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report