Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linework and limitations in families

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
NigelParsons4560
1027 Views, 2 Replies

Linework and limitations in families

Hello,

Today, I'm trying to do two things:

1. Make my title block look and work properly;

The problem with the title block: Firstly, I'd like to control the line weights.  Within the family there appears to be only four choices of line: invisible, thin, medium, and title block.  I want more choices ... and I want colour.  I just don't know how to do this.

2. Change the way light fittings appear in plan.

I have several issues with the light fittings.  Firstly, I want better control over the line weights of symbolic lines.  I don't know how to do this.  Secondly, I want filled regions in the family, in colour, semi-transparent if possible.  I don't know how to do this either.  I'm surprised that I can't even start a Region command while editing a family.  Please advise on how to do this.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi,

1. Make my title block look and work properly;

Generally in Revit,  controlling line weights consists of three parts.

Part 1.
Revit has 16 different possible values for lineweight, which are controlled through Manage>Additional Settings>Line Weights

This should be set up in your template and really shouldn't be changed - see this document (page 22) for a decent setup.

Part 2.

The second part is line styles, which are controlled in Manage>Additional Settings>Line Styles

This controlls availible styles for detail and model lines in a project (to add a new style you need to click on Modify Subcategories>New)

Part 3.

All objects have a default line styles associated in a teplate- go to Manage>object Styles to modify to add or modify a line style  (this also works in family environment, again to add a new style click on Modify Subcategories>New) If you create a new style in a family it's added to a project with the same settings as in the family.

As a good practice is better to keep the number of line styles to a minimum and spend some time to set up the the object styles correctly, so they look the way you like it (or as per your office standard). 

2. Change the way light fittings appear in plan.

As for the lines, that's really the same thing as above. 

To add a filled region to a lighting fixture family, you'll need to create a detail item family, draw the filled region and load it into the fixture family.

Hope this helps,

Maciej

Message 3 of 3

Hi maciej,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I am now organising my line styles etc.

I'm unsure how to nest families, but will look into this.

Thanks again.

N.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report