Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Weight Questions

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Redraiderr2009
14672 Views, 4 Replies

Line Weight Questions

The line weights in Revit have me stumped. Under the Revit Line Weights and Model Line Weights there are 6 columns of scales.
Do I need to add all the scales that I work with?
What is the practice in your office?
How is collaboration affected if I change the line weights? Do my changes follow the drawing?
How do I share my line weights? It's not like a .CTB file in AutoCAD where I could just send a file and have the drawings print correctly.
Where are these line weights stored?
If I change them, how can I be sure that everyone else on the team has the same thicknesses?
Is it common practice to leave these alone (even thought they are editable)?

What about families? If I make a family object and they Line 1 is now the thickness of Line 3. Which will prevail?

I have two books on Revit, the help files, and Autodesk Authorized training classes under my belt, but none really answered how to manage lineweights. Our teacher during the training said the best solution is not to mess with them and leave them alone. What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ccollins
in reply to: Redraiderr2009

Line weights are controlled by Object Styles. There are weights 1 thru 16 available.

There is no need for any scale adjustments, pcp files, ctb files, etc. like there is in Cad.

For example, open a typical 1/8" scale floor plan. If you want your walls to "punch" a bit more,

go to Visibility/Graphics>Object Styles>Walls and you can see where line weights are set for cut, projection, etc.

There are also settings for Line Color,Line Pattern, and Material.

The Object Styles settings are global and very powerful. They affect how all of your model and annotation objects

display and print. Note that Revit uses WYSIWYG--what you see is what you get--i.e. the line weights on screen are what will plot/print. If necessary when editing an object, and the line weights get a bit "thick" when viewing on screen, you can use the "Thin Lines" setting to make things more legible--then set it back.

Hope this helps. One key thing is to forget all your past AutoCad or other 2D Cadd programs--and learn how Revit is used to MODEL a building, then it EXTRACTS out the 2D drawings from the model. So--you are not DRAWING views in 2D to represent a 3D building, you are MODELING in 3D and then producing 2D views of the model.

Good luck!

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 5
ryan.duell
in reply to: ccollins

In addition to the previous response, I wanted to add a technical solution to this thread as well to keep in mind:
Object style line weight thickness varies between host and linked Revit project

In addition to the previous response, I wanted to add a technical solution to this thread as well to keep in mind:

Object style line weight thickness varies between host and linked Revit project

Ryan Duell
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the link to the support file.

That makes sense, because if you are collaborating with someone and their project line weights are different than ours, it would be a mess to print.

Message 5 of 5

I'll try and cover all the questions.

Yes add all the scales you work with.  When I set up the first template for my office I removed all but 1 of the scales, set that one the way I wanted, then added additional scales.  The new scales inherit the previously set up scales weights.  This is a quick way if all your scales use the same lineweights.

In my office all the lineweights are set up for all scales that we use.  I set up all of our lineweights to reflect the lineweights we use in AutoCAD, I then set up all the object styles according to AutoCAD convention.

Collaboration wise changes are carried with the drawing back to the central file, not sure if that's exactly what you were talking about.  You can make the changes to the lineweights in your local file and when synchronized with central the other people working on the project will get those changes.

The line weights are stored in the drawing so this is something that should be incorporated into your template file.  You can transfer line weights via "Transfer Project Standards", though I see you probably have already gotten that much from the Autodesk link.

When you are creating new families you will assign them to a family category, this will set their lineweights etc correctly when used in a project.  When you create families you will find that you don't use various line types etc as they are not truly relevant to family creation, aside from the few built in ones like invisible line.

I am definitely not in agreement with someone saying to leave the lineweights alone.  That idea only works if you don't have drawing standards, and god help you if that's the case.

As far as working with linked files goes I do like the option to transfer standards from the host file to the link.  However depending on your requirements and the object style settings you may consider simply switching the linked files object styles to "by linked file".  Being on the structural side of things this setting generally works for me, though I do use filters to lighten up non-bearing walls.  Using this setting really depends on how their elements compare to yours.

Lawrence

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report