Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Spacing Pattern

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
cjp
Enthusiast
5143 Views, 6 Replies

Line Spacing Pattern

I have always been frustrated with attempting to create or even modify patterns for Revit. I currently am trying to attempt to create a new pattern with simple horizontal lines that are 2- 5/8" apart in full scale. I currently have my drawing at 1/4"=1' and the defualt line spacing for horizontal lines at 1/16" apart creates a 2- 3/4" spacing in my drawing. Is there no way for me to specify that I want the lines to be 2- 5/8" apart in full scale and have it adjust accordingly. In a perfect world I would also like to be able to create a surface pattern that has two lines closer togather and then one further away. This would be sort of mimicking a brick pattern with the grout lines, but no vertical lines. I have altered a pattern before in the notepad and brought it in somehow, but I have forgotten and it was very confusing then as well. Is there an easy way to go about all of this and have it measure corrctly in the drawing and scale correctly when I print it or put it on the sheet?  Thanks. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
MIKEFETTKETHER4651
in reply to: cjp

Create a new text file on your computer. Copy and paste this into it:

*BRICK, Brick Custom
;%TYPE=MODEL
0, 0,0, 0,2.625, 0,0
0, 0,0.375, 0,2.625, 0,0

Save the file.

Rename the file extension to .pat

Load Revit > Click on the Manage Tab > Click on Additional Settings in the Setting Panel > Select Fill Patterns > Make sure Model pattern is selected and click New > Click on the Custom button > Select Import > Load the file you just created from above.

michael_fett

Message 3 of 7
cjp
Enthusiast
in reply to: MIKEFETTKETHER4651

That almost worked. Like I said I dont full comprehend how it all works and what everything means so I do not know how to alter it to be what I need. I origionally tried to import your text file in and I needed it to be a "DRAFTING" type so I changed that in text (model to drafting) which allowed me to import it in to my specific elevation, but now it seems to be too wide. How does the scaling of it all work and why does it not just import in at full scale and then adjust itself as any other thing does i.e. the generic brick pattern that Revit comes with. 

Message 4 of 7
MIKEFETTKETHER4651

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. So, I'll start with the basics.

There are two types of hatch patterns, model and drafting.

With model the hatch pattern always stays the same and never scales up or down.  With Drafting patterns the scale of the pattern will always print the same scale as the drafting pattern will scale up and down to the final scale.  Kind of confusing until you see it first hand. 

So, I guess my next question would be what is the pattern you always want the final pattern to print at? The previous pattern I posted will always print lines spaced at 2 5/8" apart with a 3/8" mortar joint at the scale of the viewport.  If you switch it to drafting then on the final plotted sheet the lines will be 2 5/8" apart with a 3/8" mortar joint reguardless of the viewport scale.

Does this make sense?

michael_fett

Message 5 of 7
cjp
Enthusiast
in reply to: MIKEFETTKETHER4651

Ahh... That information was helpful. In order for me to have it scale along with whatever scale I am in it needs to be a model drafting pattern....My issue was that I was merely "overriding the graphic in view" which only allows for a drafting option. I have since applied the pattern to my material and have gotten it to work the way I need. I appreciate all of your help thus far. In the future if I want to make a new pattern of my own. What numbers go where to make what I need. Essentially what do all the other "0" in your text file do?.... I appreciate all of your help and information.

Message 6 of 7
MIKEFETTKETHER4651

Explaining this could get rather lengthy.  So I will stick with the short version for now.

angle, x-origin,y-origin, delta-x,delta-y,dash-1,dash-2

This can be very difficult to learn at first.  But after a while it does get easier.  It's similar to explaining to someone how to program for the first time. It takes lots of practice to get it right and then one day it all makes sense.

There are several programs out there that can simplify the process for you.  HatchKit was very helpful to me when I first got started.

Good Luck!

michael_fett

Message 7 of 7

Thank you so much for the explanation. I was able to use this info to create something similar we needed.

Have a great day

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report