Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Based Parametric Array family & formula

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
tonkata
10355 Views, 10 Replies

Line Based Parametric Array family & formula

I have managed to replicate a youtube tutorial on creating a parametric array, however when the component is loaded in a project, and the "joist length" is increased, the array breaks apart.

Can I get some help on this one please Smiley Embarassed

RVT file attached.

array.PNG

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
BIMAbhi
in reply to: tonkata

When you creating the parametric array with the help of the option (2nd or Last option) please align the First Object and Second objetct (2nd Option) or First object and Last Object (Last Option) vertically. After doing you can put the array number.

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi
Message 3 of 11
tonkata
in reply to: BIMAbhi

Don't beleve this formula is working correctly though.

I want my max centers to be no more than 600mm, however when I dimension the array family, it's showing to be larger than 600, how to I fix that?

max spacing.JPG

Message 4 of 11
tonkata

Anyone that can help out with this formula?

Message 5 of 11
CoreyDaun

Try simply adding a ROUNDUP function to the "Stile Count" formula, and see if that solves your issue.

= roundup(Divisible Length / Max Spacing)

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 11
tonkata
in reply to: CoreyDaun

nope, unfortunately that didn't help Corey.

roundup.JPG

Message 7 of 11
CoreyDaun

Your formula for "Joist Count" is missing the roundup function; revise as per the formula below:

roundup(Divisible Length / Max Spacing)

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 8 of 11
BIMAbhi
in reply to: CoreyDaun

We have taken the snap (attached) after using the formula roundup.

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi
Message 9 of 11
loboarch
in reply to: BIMAbhi

If this is a family for joist layout you might consider using the beam system tool Instead of a line based array.  The beam system is already setup to do this kind of thing and you just tell it what structural member you want to use in the beam system.  It might be more flexible in some situations too.  For example you can change the edge condition or cut an opening in the beam system and the "beams" will adjust to the boundary.

beam_system.png

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 10 of 11
tonkata

Loboarch, couldn't agree with you more about the beam system, however the problem with it is you cannot place a joist at the beginning/end of the boundary. The workaround posted is to "stretch" the boundary a tad further, enough that the extra joist appear.

This is the reason behind my line base attempt. I think it will make a very neat & fast "click/drag/click" approach, especially when you need to model a extended deck, pergola etc.

I'm guessing sooner or later these workarounds will eventually be added within Revit, but till then all these solutions and workarounds makes good practice

Message 11 of 11
loboarch

If it was me I would still consider a beam system and manually place the members at the start and beginning when required.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report