Revit Architecture

Distinguished Contributor
tonkata
Message 1 of 11 (569 Views)
Accepted Solution

Line Based Parametric Array family & formula

569 Views, 10 Replies
04-08-2014 05:20 PM

I have managed to replicate a youtube tutorial on creating a parametric array, however when the component is loaded in a project, and the "joist length" is increased, the array breaks apart.

Can I get some help on this one please :smileyembarrassed:

RVT file attached.

array.PNG

When you creating the parametric array with the help of the option (2nd or Last option) please align the First Object and Second objetct (2nd Option) or First object and Last Object (Last Option) vertically. After doing you can put the array number.

Your formula for "Joist Count" is missing the roundup function; revise as per the formula below:

roundup(Divisible Length / Max Spacing)

RNDPIS
Message 2 of 11 (534 Views)

Re: Line Based Parametric Array family & formula

04-08-2014 09:54 PM in reply to: tonkata

When you creating the parametric array with the help of the option (2nd or Last option) please align the First Object and Second objetct (2nd Option) or First object and Last Object (Last Option) vertically. After doing you can put the array number.

tonkata
Message 3 of 11 (517 Views)

04-09-2014 01:36 AM in reply to: RNDPIS

Don't beleve this formula is working correctly though.

I want my max centers to be no more than 600mm, however when I dimension the array family, it's showing to be larger than 600, how to I fix that?

max spacing.JPG

tonkata
Message 4 of 11 (478 Views)

04-10-2014 04:37 PM in reply to: tonkata

Anyone that can help out with this formula?

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 5 of 11 (468 Views)

04-10-2014 06:22 PM in reply to: tonkata

Try simply adding a ROUNDUP function to the "Stile Count" formula, and see if that solves your issue.

= roundup(Divisible Length / Max Spacing)

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
tonkata
Message 6 of 11 (456 Views)

04-10-2014 09:52 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

nope, unfortunately that didn't help Corey.

roundup.JPG

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 7 of 11 (442 Views)

04-11-2014 05:31 AM in reply to: tonkata

Your formula for "Joist Count" is missing the roundup function; revise as per the formula below:

roundup(Divisible Length / Max Spacing)

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
RNDPIS
Message 8 of 11 (438 Views)

04-11-2014 05:57 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

We have taken the snap (attached) after using the formula roundup.

Employee
loboarch
Message 9 of 11 (427 Views)

04-11-2014 06:39 AM in reply to: RNDPIS

If this is a family for joist layout you might consider using the beam system tool Instead of a line based array.  The beam system is already setup to do this kind of thing and you just tell it what structural member you want to use in the beam system.  It might be more flexible in some situations too.  For example you can change the edge condition or cut an opening in the beam system and the "beams" will adjust to the boundary.

beam_system.png

Jeff Hanson
Sr. Subject Matter Expert
Autodesk, Revit User Experience
tonkata
Message 10 of 11 (418 Views)

04-11-2014 06:56 AM in reply to: tonkata
Loboarch, couldn't agree with you more about the beam system, however the problem with it is you cannot place a joist at the beginning/end of the boundary. The workaround posted is to "stretch" the boundary a tad further, enough that the extra joist appear.

This is the reason behind my line base attempt. I think it will make a very neat & fast "click/drag/click" approach, especially when you need to model a extended deck, pergola etc.

I'm guessing sooner or later these workarounds will eventually be added within Revit, but till then all these solutions and workarounds makes good practice

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.