Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level of Detail while Editing Family

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
dbroad
1063 Views, 7 Replies

Level of Detail while Editing Family

Revit 2013: Was playing around with sketching symbolic lines in a Generic Model family.  I added a line and changed its LOD to be visible in fine only.  Nevertheless, it was still visible in the family editor even when the view was set to coarse.

1) How can we verify visual behavior of a family while in the family editor if the objects visibility is not governed by LOD settings?  (BTW: The family performs correctly when loaded in the project, just not in the family editor).

2) Is the fact that LOD is ignored in the family editor by design or a bug?

3) Is there any visual cue that tells us that a particular line will be not visible at a LOD?

4) Should we be duplicating Ref. Level views in the family to keep things straight?

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
LisaDrago
in reply to: dbroad

When working in a family things are a little different. 

1 & 2) When you change the visibility of elements - they will not disappear in a family - they will grey out. This is my design.

As you stated when you brought it into a project - it worked correctly. Any time I am building a new family I always have an empty project open - just to test the new family.

3) To my current knowledge there is no visual clue to show what specific level of detail an item has been changed to.

4) not sure what you mean by this.

Hope this helps,

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 8
chuckconley530
in reply to: LisaDrago

Yes, this is by design, the greyed out lines represent them as being modified and will behave as you have set them up in the family. As stated before they work fine once inserted into a project. I do the same as the previous person and design my families then test them out in an empty project. Just think about it, if the lines were not showing in the family editor you would not know what lines you had drawn, so hence the greyed out lines.

Message 4 of 8
dbroad

Thanks.

Since half-tone display is by design, is there any way to adjust the half-tone level?  On my screen, the half-tone representation and the normal display are practically indistinguishable from one another.  

Message 5 of 8
AJA14

Hi. Go to manage, additional settings, halftone/underlay, and change the transparency of the halftone. Regards.
Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 6 of 8
dbroad
in reply to: AJA14

Thanks.

I will try that.  One other question:

5)Why does the linetype change in addition to the halftone display?  If I have assigned a component to a subcategory of hidden lines and limited it to fine LOD, why does it go to half-tone AND change its linetype when I change to coarse LOD?  Is that also by design?

Message 7 of 8
chuckconley530

This is also by design. When you have a for example a 3D model you do not want to see that 3D model in plan for sake of the software utilizing the PC's resources, so you want lines to represent that 3D obect in a plan view as line work. As you go from fine detail to coarse detail you want to show different levels of that line work. I built familes for a year and had to do this for every model I made which is outlined in the Revit Model Style Guide which you can find on Autodesk.com. I hope this lets you understand why it is the way it is.

Message 8 of 8
dbroad
in reply to: chuckconley530

I'm not sure I understand. I'm talking about linetype changes (like seeing dashed in fine LOD, and then seeing continuous in half-tone for the same line because it is not in the medium LOD.  Why would the linetype change?  Your last answer didn't address linetype changes when an element (a symbolic line)  is not in scope in that LOD.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report