Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level hosted families within groups choosing wrong host

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
krscad
2963 Views, 6 Replies

Level hosted families within groups choosing wrong host

I'm working on a hospitality project with groups for different unit types and a linked model for common areas. My Revit version is 2014. 

I'm having issues with one class of casework family. The Revit default closet shelf and pole family seems to have issues finding the right host. I haven't been able to figure out what the host needs to be for these families to work correctly, consistently. In some groups, some instances of the family seem to work fine, in others when I place instances of the model group on other levels, the closet shelf and pole remains on the level of the original instance.

I have tried deleting all instances of the group to try to dissasociate the family, but this does not seem to fix the problem. After the first group is placed, all subsequent instances will be on that level. I have tried changing the work plane of the element, but this moves ALL of the instances to that level across all groups. Revit doesn't give me the option to dissassociate the family. 

I have tried selecting the plane of the finish floor as the work plane (which is part of the group) but this did not fix the problem either. I tried deleting the problem elements and recreating them in the group editor in hopes it would automatically choose an appropriate, group-relative host, but this did not work. 

The problem is also affecting another line-based casework family I created for the project, so I wonder if it is specific to the family type? 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
atiefenbach
in reply to: krscad

YUP!  This has been a HUGE ongoing problem for us, as well.  I reported it as a bug earlier this year.  It's kinda funny, because if I use the API (like a custom add-in) to place a family or group, it ALWAYS hosts to the Level (LIKE IT'S SUPPOSED TOO).

Anyway, the easiest way to fix this is:

1. Create a group or selection set of all the elements/groups you need to "fix"
  2. Copy the group/selection set out into space, like 100ft (this should make new elements hosted to the LEVEL)
  3. Delete the original "broken" group/selection set
  4. Move the new group/selection set back the 100ft

Now you can copy those elements/groups up and down the building and they should host to the correct Levels.

Then, tell Autodesk it's broke by filling out this form: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Anthony Tiefenbach
BIM Manager
HuntonBrady Architects
Message 3 of 7
krscad
in reply to: atiefenbach

Thank you for the work around. I had already given up on trying to make these elements work, so I made a new closet shelf and pole family from the default casework template, basically, a base cabinet template instead of a line-based template. I also had a line-based coat hook family that was affected by the same bug, which I remade as a furniture family (it is FF&E anyway). This seems to be working, at least for now. 

Message 4 of 7
stephen
in reply to: atiefenbach

I have another solution: remove the problematic elements from the group and the rehost button will now appear when you select the item. Get the item into a view where you can select the level line and then rehost it to the level. Put in back in the group and it will behave the way you want it to.

Tags (2)
Message 5 of 7
gsucci
in reply to: stephen

this still does not prevent Revit from making the Fix Groups error with subsequent groups creation / duplication nightmare...

Any news on this issue?

Regards

Gio

Message 6 of 7
Lars_Jeppesen
in reply to: krscad

The year is 2023........ someone link the gif of Spongebob and the "*** minutes later...."

So frustrating guys! Coming up to 10 years....

Message 7 of 7

IMG_2116.jpeg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report