Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level Granularity

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
markkmueller
387 Views, 3 Replies

Level Granularity

Hello,
I've just started using Revit as of a few days ago. and am bringing over a home design from AutoCAD 2002. All of the tutorials for Revit and competing products present designs with neatly stacked floors. This home design doesn't work that way.

The kitchen, for example, is attached to the east and is half a floor between Basement and the Main Floor. All and all, the garage, office, and kitchen differ from the usual three story scheme that defines the rest of the house.

I'm curious how others would/have assigned levels in this case.

Thanks for any help.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
andrewg07
in reply to: markkmueller

I'd assign & rename a level for each floor.

You just have to careful when drawing objects that go level to level (walls, columns, etc) and make sure they're extending up to the level you expect.

Also be careful when, for instance when setting a view range for let's say the basement. You may want the top to be the first floor, but if you select "level above", you'll end up with the kitchen.
Message 3 of 4
markkmueller
in reply to: markkmueller

Right, for me it's easy to keep track in my mind of how the levels work. It would be nice if there was a way to tell Revit default behaviors, like which level is above which. One thing that I haven't been able to do is move or copy walls, windows, plus doors from one level to another. As far as I can tell, Revit will let me choose the base level but incorrectly determines its own "level above" value and the windows and doors don't fit in the result.

In the big scheme of things, a _floor_ within a building or structure could be it's own entity with properties and all, somewhat akin to a room tag but far more sophisticated. Then, instead of using the AutoCadish technique of defining levels by drawing lines on an elevation, the traditional "floor" would instead be a "space" that has a well defined volume within the model (_well defined_ includes more properties than just x,y,z coordinates).
Message 4 of 4

Regarding "split levels"...Revit 6.0 has PLAN REGIONS to allow defining discreet areas to use a different cut plane than the rest of the level.

Copying or moving walls and such on one level to another is as easy as it can get, select your stuff, EDIT>COPY then change to the new level, EDIT>PASTE ALIGNED>CURRENT VIEW or if you want the stuff on several levels at once, use the NAMED LEVELS option instead, where you can pick the levels to copy the objects to.

Revit is not AutoCADish, not remotely... 8-)

If you're interested in good training material, look at www.cdvsystems.com. They've got two books out with a third due soon. We've got them and they are a good compliment to the Revit tutorials and help files that are listed under HELP.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report