Revit Architecture

Contributor
jeevanjacob
Message 1 of 3 (130 Views)

length of the beam ?

130 Views, 2 Replies
12-10-2012 11:17 PM

Hi,

I have all my columns in position. I need to draw the beams. Should I use center to center or edge to edge?

I tried it in both ways. Both gave same volume but different lengths in properties palette. 

jeevan

*Expert Elite*
ccollins
Message 2 of 3 (116 Views)

Re: length of the beam ?

12-11-2012 08:23 AM in reply to: jeevanjacob

There is a beam "cut back length" that allows for connection plates, etc.

Take a look in the beam family properties.

Typically, beams are placed from center to center of columns, and the cut-back length automatically pulls the ends away

the specified dimension.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Contributor
jeevanjacob
Message 3 of 3 (92 Views)

Re: length of the beam ?

12-11-2012 08:28 PM in reply to: ccollins

Hi Collins,

Thank you.

May I rephrase my question? I need to export the structural frame, for analysis, to STAAD. For the purpose, center to center is the right method. But as I inserted all my beams, using grid option in the toolbar, I got edge to edge only. Is there a method to overcome this (other than rearranging each and every beam)? 

regards

jeevan

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.