Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop configuration: Which one is more suitable for running Revit?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Pandekager
759 Views, 2 Replies

Laptop configuration: Which one is more suitable for running Revit?

This is a continuation of my previous question, but also a new question entirely, apologies if I should have just replied to that..

Anyway, I'm torn between these two finalists:

http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-Prime-UX31A-DB51-13-3-Inch-Ultrabook/dp/B00863L2PK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00863L2MI/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A23GJYGSSUMDAX

Apparently the former is more updated and has a faster processor...which I don't know if it has any effect on non-gaming applications (no gaming on this machine, only Revit/Adobe/MS Office). Both are upgradeable with additional RAM (up to 8GB), which I would be doing in the near future. I just don't know if the more expensive one is worth it. Could anyone quickly check these specs, and let me know if either is capable of comfortably running Revit? And if it were you, what would be your choice?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
haydenwse
in reply to: Pandekager

My current laptop Is a 2.1GHz i-7 with 8 GB ram and i am often running into problems with not enough ram.  my models are mostly small commercial and run 100MB to 200MB in size.  Windows Task Manager will show that i am using 6 to 7 GB of ram and that really slows things down.

Message 3 of 3
rosskirby
in reply to: Pandekager

As I mentioned in your other thread, you're just not going to be happy with 4 GB of RAM and a Windows 7 Home.  You really do need at least 8 GB of RAM and Windows 7 Pro or Windows 8 in order to work productively.  If you aren't doing rendering, then almost any graphics card with 1GB of onboard memory will suffice.  And any time you can upgrade the processor (i5 or i7, or AMD equivalent) to have more cores or more speed, you're going to be better off.  Those are the kinds of things (processor and video card) you can't change later (unlike memory) in a laptop.  Having a solid state drive will make files/programs open/save faster, but won't affect the speed at which you can work.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report